1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

She's gonna need some muscle to carry that cross.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Good ol' Mizzou.

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You'd think a college education would teach the players there is no such thing as a false investigation. The use of ALL CAPS for the "softball program under coach Erhen Earleywhine IS THE WINNINGIST PROGRAM IN THE HISTORY OF MISSOURI SPORTS" is a nice touch.

Use of "black cloud," though, by the players is extremely RACIST and OFFENSIVE!!!

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Didn't realize the players misspelled their own coach's first name.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

Rough treatment for the coach of the WINNINGEST PROGRAM IN THE HISTORY OF MISSOURI SPORTS.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You'd think they'd at least know to capitalize Title IX.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

This pisses me off.

The Post-Dispatch story quotes the statement handed out, but corrects the misspelled coach's name, with no notation that it was corrected.

They are taking a stand for their coach, but can't spell his name. And a homer beat writer helps them out.

Mizzou softball team plays in protest of AD, administration

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not sure that publicly supporting their coach is a morally offensive stance, but whatevs.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'd like to say maybe the desk fixed it, but any paper having a copy desk nowadays is assuming too much.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Though it should be printed as is and errors appropriately noted, I don't find the spelling error affects student athletes' credibility.

Aside: My somewhat conventional, biblically-inspired first name (it ain't Ehren) has been misspelled on plaques, certificates and by my friends, peers and superiors semi-regularly. My last name, also a well-known country of five letters, has been butchered far worse.

It certainly was hastily written and disseminated. Should have run it through Sports Information.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Ezeekeyl Spane?

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted