1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He wouldn't. He loves the media. A deep love affair with it.

Trump likes arguing and chaos. He invents conflict in pursuit of relevancy. It works, too. People loved seeing him ruffle Jeb Bush's feathers. Bush's responses were hilarious, too.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I hate guys like that.

TyWebb, HanSenSE, Double Down and 3 others like this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Remind me again what this has to do with the thread topic?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The topic is a catch all for politics. de Blasio is fair game.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The world would be a bunch of Thatcherites without them.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

According to vote totals at Real Clear Politics, Trump has received about 10.6 million votes in anything from a 17-way race to a three- or four-way race. Hillary has gotten 12.4 million votes in what has largely been a two-person race.
    A total of 25.1 million people have cast votes for the top four vote-getters in the Republican primaries so far (Trump, Cruz, Rubio and Kasich).
    A total of 21.7 million people have cast votes in the Democrat primaries for Clinton or Sanders.
    Math has never been my strong suit, but if you account for the fact that the Republican totals have been split in any number of directions and Trump is still within shouting distance of Clinton on a national scale, how exactly is he doomed from the start?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He won me over. And there have to be others like me out there.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because there is absolutely no historical correlation between party overall primary turnout and success in the general.

The only thing a large primary turnout means is you had a competitive primary, no more or less.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Doesn't that work both ways, though? Seems like it's only being used to downgrade Trump's chances and not Clinton's or Sanders'.
    The bigger factor is that the Republican totals are being split, in the case of the early primaries, literally a dozen different ways. That's why Trump is receiving a plurality and not a majority, not necessarily that Republicans are anti-Trump. It's damn hard to win a majority when you split the vote three, four or five ways. If anything, it's more impressive that he's winning so easily in a multiple-person race.
    Plus, the "4.7 percent of the eligible voters" line is thrown out without an important piece of context. Clinton, the Democrat frontrunner, has only received about 5.5 percent of the vote.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Trump's chances are being downgraded because polling data shows his appeal is to such a limited slice of demographics, and he is so reviled outside of those demographics, that he has virtually no plausible path to a majority.

The part about the primary being a small portion of the electorate is merely a preemptive rebuttal to the dimwitted "but he won and winners win, so he will win again" crowd. It isn't the actual reason he will lose.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It is well with my soul ...

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I get all that. But at the risk of sounding like one of those guys, it also seems like people are trying to craft a narrative for him already -- "He has no chance of winning, no one likes him, you're wasting your time voting for him, and if you DO vote for him you're an ignorant racist, etc., etc."
    All of which might be true to some degree.
    All I know is, every projection of his electability has been dead wrong so far. If we've learned anything by now, you'd think it would be not to underestimate him. In a lot of ways, he's the perfect foil to beat Hillary. He won't defer to her, and he's more than willing to point out her shadiness and hypocrisy while embracing or ignoring his own. He's loud and he's visible. Unlike McCain or Romney, he won't go on vacation in October. And Hillary isn't inspiring people, either. They're supporting her largely because she's a Democrat or she isn't Trump. Give them a reason not to vote for her, and they might not. Trump can expose her flaws and weaknesses, and probably won't even break a sweat doing it.
    Like him or loathe him, it's time to start taking Trump seriously.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.