1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Part of that is because the Republican primary voters had so many options to choose from, though. Sales of vanilla ice cream will be lower at Baskin-Robbins than at Joe's Ice Cream Shack that only serves vanilla and chocolate. It doesn't mean fewer Baskin-Robbins customers like vanilla. The logic chain that he didn't get a majority, so Republicans must not like him, so therefore he's not a viable candidate, is kind of silly. Hell, Bill Clinton never got a majority of votes in either of his presidential elections (43 and 49.2 percent). Didn't seem to make him a less viable candidate.

Another thing to consider is how much Republicans in general despise Hillary. A number of them will fall in behind Trump, just because the prospect of a Hillary presidency -- and more importantly, a third consecutive Democrat term that will effectively kill any chance at advancing Republican causes for years -- is so unappealing. If Biden were running, he'd probably win in a landslide with a lot more crossover voters than Hillary will get.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ok, so find him a winning map.

2016 Presidential Election Interactive Map

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As with the last few elections, if he wins a few key toss up states (turning Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nevada red seems to do the trick) he can get there.
    But that's not really my point. I'm not saying he will win. Just that dismissing him out of hand should be a silly notion at this point, and that using the argument that he hasn't won a majority of the votes in the primaries is intellectually dishonest because it ignores a huge variable.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I wonder, and there's no way to know, about this in the Republican primary voter turnout: Trump brought a lot of people out to vote. Obviously most to vote FOR him. What's the percentage that came out to vote AGAINST him because he scares them to death?

Batman likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

At the "contemporary" service I attend, this song is snazzily accompanied by cello and flute.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What's really sad is this boards lefties will look at your post and nod their heads in agreement.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Former umpire here. On and off Many years, some softball too. Miss a well-pitched game backed by a well-coached defense. Miss most of the coaches. Don't miss the parents.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's that, too. Which is another point to consider, is that this thing is so screwy we might not have any idea what anything really means. Trump is breaking a lot of the polling models. Maybe by the time we get past the conventions and it really is just down to he and Hillary, we'll return to some semblance of normalcy and get a good read on this thing.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

To me, general election polling is like baseball standings. Don't look at the standings until after Memorial Day, and don't look at polling until late August or early September.

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

What's sad is, you know better.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Brand-new umpire here. That doubleheader yesterday was my first two games. My quads are still hurting from getting into the crouch position behind the plate. I had expected to break in with my first few games being youth games in the 10-12 range. Instead, a need came up for a JV doubleheader nearby, so I took it. I have three games in a youth tournament next Sunday and three more in the same tournament the following Saturday.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And your butt still hurts from November 2012.
    Man, Tony, you sure are taking a beating. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.