1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think it was Stephen Jay Gould who wrote (in the mid-90s): "Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was the Braves' starting rotation."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder if Strasburg had put together Clayton Kershaw's or even Chris Sale's career up to this point, whether Washington would have been so hell-bent on locking him down. But perhaps the thinking is, "Hey, we're the ones who have shepherded this guy through injuries and protected him and took the heat for shutting him down during a playoff push and, damn it, we're going to be the ones to live or die with him after all of this."

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Close! It's $15M/year for 7 years, then $10M for the next 7.

Nationals will pay Stephen Strasburg until 2030, thanks to new extension

This is becoming a Nats staple. What do you guys think of these deferred contracts?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

BDC99, bigpern23 and RubberSoul1979 like this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Deferred money is always good for the team. Lets the player get the higher nominal value for pride points while lowering the real value.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Cubs hitters having fun robbing Hector Rondon of saves

"When you're on the bench and you're up three runs, two runs, whatever, we have a game we call Screw the Closer," Ross explained, laughing and admitting 'screw' isn't the word the players actually use. "We want to score more so he doesn't get the save."

7. Dick Whitman

On the other side of town in Chicago, the White Sox win on a 12th inning grand slam by Todd Frazier last night. Unfortunately, it wasn't at home, in the afternoon, on a Sunday, against the other top contender in the league, so it isn't getting nearly as much buzz as the Baez shot. But the White Sox are now 23-10 and Frazier and Abreu are just starting to hit a little bit.

Jimmy Rollins is a black hole, though. Can't hit. And he was asked to bunt twice last night and failed both times.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Have the Cubs and White Sox ever been a combined 31 games above .500?

9. Dick Whitman

In 2008 they finished the season a combined 48 games over .500.

Songbird likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I expected Boras to seek 10 years

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I had not read much about a Strasburg contract before the signing (it was my impression that it was unexpected), but based on Lester and Price getting 6 & 7 year contracts, respectively, when they are two or three years older, Strasburg taking only 7 years seems short. Basically, if others were going to get paid through age 36, why wouldn't Strasburg seek the same?

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Because he has had TJ surgery already and continues to battle injuries.

Draft saved Draft deleted