1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Bummer about Emma, just when they were developing a second women's storyline

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

God, Cassady needs Enzo back bad. Dude is not good on the mic. Fine in the ring, but horrible with promos.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, surgery on Wednesday for a disc. That ain't good.

While it's, as Gorilla Monsoon would put it, highly unlikely, you'd think the E would consider, at some point, either cutting down the house show schedule, or have more wrestlers on the roster and have them spread their matches out. While it's not totally comparable because of the union thing, you'd think they might want to follow the NFL's lead in not having their athletes take as much of a pounding as they used to.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think he's pretty good on the mic in the small doses we've been getting. He's certainly more serviceable and shows more fire than some others who get regular promo time -- like the current champ, for instance.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'd put him just behind Reigns, but they both suffer from the same problem. They're clearly reciting a script. With Cassady, it's two sentences, wait for pop. Two more sentences, wait for pop. One more sentence, wait for pop. Repeat until interrupted. And too often, the pop doesn't come or is weak, so it ends up falling flat. It's tedious and not well delivered. When they bring up guys like Zayn and Owens, they can handle a promo. They take a script and add their personality to it. Cass struggles with that. And Reigns struggles, too. But because Reigns can't deliver a promo, should we bring up more guys that can't?

Now, part of the problem with Cass might be the writers and others backstage not giving him more freedom. Part of that might be nerves from being on Raw by himself and not having Enzo. But screaming into a mic and saying "New Era" every four words doesn't make it a good promo.

6. MisterCreosote

Yeah, that's more of what I meant: Cass has the fire and the potential, he's just green. But he's already a more exciting promo than Reigns, and gets bigger pops, too.

Give him more time, experience and eventually more freedom, and he should be really strong. Reigns just seems like a lost cause to me.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Completely agree on Reigns. And the Usos are the same. They should bring Samoa Joe up to demolish them all and show them what a successful Samoan wrestler looks like.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The Usos needs to be repackaged immediately.......no more bright colors no more face paint, if they're to be taken seriously as Reigns muscle they can't look like they just got done losing a non title match to Demolition.

sgreenwell and schiezainc like this.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I don't think so. They've gotten over like this, and have been solid face champs and contenders with their wrestling doing the talking. They won't be Roman's muscle forever. I just think they didn't have any big identity outside of being twins for a long time, and the Samoan chant entrance, face paint, etc. gave them some more. They can get more intense for a while, sure, and cutting the colors down a little would be a good idea for that. But a total repackaging isn't likely at this point in their careers unless they split them up.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Or if they turn Reigns heel... ;) Although, I was surprised that they seemingly got cheered for the win on Monday, but Reigns was still booed out of the building at various points.

schiezainc likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

Funny thing about the Anoa'i family: The family members are/were all good hands, but outside of The Rock, none of them have had huge, sustained success as singles competitors.

I saw a meme showing the singles title history of the entire family. It was overwhelmingly filled with The Rock's reigns, and I think just six total world and intercontinental title reigns combined for Reigns, Yokozuna, Rikishi and Umaga.

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think they could have done more with Yokozuna and Rikishi, but unfortunately, weight was a constant issue for both. I actually really liked Umaga's in-ring stuff, particularly his stuff with Cena, but unfortunately he seemingly had substance abuse issues. (Bounce from the WWE on only his second violation because he refused to go to rehab.)

Draft saved Draft deleted