1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The only possible plus side to any of this would be Hawk finally jumping out of the booth and ending his broadcasting career, 30 years after he should have quit.

Chef2, exmediahack and Jake_Taylor like this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Only weekend I wish I would have watching the sox broadcast instead of Ryan and Hud.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Quirk got three hits and George Scott belted out two knocks for KC jumped out. Goodness. 1979 was the royals worst starting pitching of that run and cost Whitey his job.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What happened to Physioc?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

White Sox pen in 6 innings this series gave up 14 earned runs and had a .484 BAA.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It was an #umpshow for sure, but was it any sillier than the Mets biding their time and getting revenge for a guy who's been gone so long, he just got DFAd by the Cardinals?

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Definitely should have done it in the first meeting of the season out in L.A. But 1) he missed him and 2) even if he hit him, it's b.s. to toss him without a prior warning.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is no rule, written or unwritten, that says ump has to wait for a warning if they have a good reason to think you did it on purpose.

9. Deskgrunt50

There isn't. But he didn't hit him. Is the umpire a mind-reader? No one was watching the game for the umpire.

Of course I know Syndergaard intended to hit him, or at least buzz him, but he missed.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a judgment call, and the ump used his judgment. Also, I haven't read about this, but it's possible both managers were given informal warnings before the series started, either by the crew or MLB.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The rule doesn't say you have to actually hit him to get tossed, either.

And mind reader or not, umpires are allowed to use their judgment of intent. Hell, that is how we decide if a check swing is a strike.

12. Deskgrunt50

Would think it would have been reported if there was any kind of warning.

Draft saved Draft deleted