1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

There's this thing called a buyout.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah people blow hot air about that all the time. Usually it's the Yankees threatening a free-agent bust, who then proceeds to receive 100 percent of his salary over the remaining number of years.

Has there ever been a buyout of a player with more than one year left? Has a player ever taken less than 80 percent of his contract to go away?

I don't see the Mets forking over $55-60M as a parting gift and I don't see Wright walking away from four years of that kind of money. Maybe if he's hurt bad enough, insurance kicks in though.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's a fraction that would do it ... Just like I'm sure that that fraction generally is close to 1/1 ...

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Too tired to look it up after the Ali breaking news, but if I recall correctly, if Wright is out 60 days in a season, as he will be in this case, the contract is insured 75 percent. So, Mets pay only $5M of $20M this season.

Not sure if the contract is insured 75 percent if he retires due to injuries. But if so, Mets would pay about $20M of the remaining $67M.

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I have read two references to a buyout in baseball. What is one example of it happening? The player has no reason to agree to one and the union wouldn't support it.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There is?

7. LongTimeListener

Michael Cuddyer wanted to retire a year early, and he took $3M instead of sticking around for $12.5M. So it isn't totally unheard of. But it is highly unusual. I've never heard of it with multiple years left.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sale's ERA is almost back to his FIP. Fangraphs vindicated forever, no takebacks.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

All-time whats?

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Shields certainly looked good in his last start, getting shelled at Safeco and giving up 10 runs to the M's.

Maybe he got all the bad pitches out of his system for a while ... :rolleyes:

12. LongTimeListener

Draft saved Draft deleted