1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He was already a successful athlete before his conversion to Islam.

Christianity shaped Tebow. If he wants to argue that it helped make him the athlete he is, I wouldn't argue with him. I'm not sure there's any way Ali could make such an argument about Islam, a faith he wasn't raised in.

2. YankeeFan

LOL.

When peaceful white supporters of Trump were getting chased down and beaten like dogs by Latino and African-American rioters, SJ.com couldn't be bothered to even clutch their pearls.

But now, we see that at least two white Trump supporters behaved badly and it's news!

cyclingwriter2 and old_tony like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The point was faith doesn't impact the genetic gifts you are born with that are needed to be great athletes.

4. Inky_Wretch

LOL!

The violence directed at the Trump supporters was national news. This incident didn't make a blip.

And the point was about the asshole wearing a shirt featuring the Prince of Peace attacking somebody. While filming it!

5. YankeeFan

This footage just came to light, and is all over the place.

That the race based beatings of Trump supporters, by Mexican flag waving rioters, while the cops stood back and observed wasn't the only news of the day yesterday is a disgrace.

That some news organizations described what happened as fights between rally attendees and "demonstrators" white washes what really happened.

That the police made a only few arrests, and that the chief of police blamed the victims, demonstrates that certain forms of violence will be tolerated, based on the politics and ethnicity of those involved.

old_tony likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

Did someone claim it impacted the genetic gifts?

How someone is raised impacts everything. Nature and nurture. They go hand in hand.

Both Tebow and Ali were raised Christian.

The two most prominent Muslim American athletes of all time were raised Christian.

7. Inky_Wretch

That's been known for decades. See the Baylor scandal for more evidence. Or the rape case involving the Stanford swimmer.

8. YankeeFan

Must not be real Muslims. I learned on the Ali thread that real Muslims are peaceful, and don't fight in war -- especially not for Christians fighting Muslims.

9. Inky_Wretch

I get that you hate Muslims. But trying to credit Ali's success to being raised Christian is the most moronic thing ever posted on any iteration of SJ.

HanSenSE and RickStain like this.
  10. YankeeFan

I'm not crediting Chritianity for his success.

The way someone is raised contributes to how they turn out.

If religion is a large part of that, it would be silly to ignore that.

In Tebow's case, Christiaity was at the center of his upbringing.

Islam was not present in Ali's upbringing.

11. Inky_Wretch

That's a Clintonian flip-flop in Trumpian speed.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I've never argued he is dumb or just lucky. I don't see the reason why he is held up as somebody to listen to, on any particular issue. There are hundreds of people who have developed technologies or built multiple businesses, yet Cuban, who was overpaid during the tech bubble and used that money to buy a sports team during a huge run up in team values, is held out as a sage.

He's an outspoken rich guy who gets more attention than his record justifies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.