1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Girardi really screwed the pooch yesterday with his bullpen management. Betances had allowed a pair of base runners with a 1-0 lead in the eighth. Heavy rain was rapidly approaching. After Betances got an out, Girardi pulled him and brought in Chapman. The game was delayed by 96 minutes before Chapman ever threw a pitch, but because Betances had already crossed the foul line, he was officially out of the game and Chapman was in.

So, after a 96-minute delay, Chapman had to warm up again and try to get out of the jam. Predictably, he did not. He was throwing 96-98 mph and the Orioles got to him.

The broadcasters said the umps had warned the managers before the inning began that they were expecting a delay, the clouds were ridiculously black and the wind had picked up so much in that inning it was blowing dustdevils across the infield. No way Girardi should have warmed up Chapman knowing that rain was coming. And, frankly, once Chapman did warm up, Girardi should have never sent him back out after that long of a delay, even if it meant burning him. Seems like a good way to risk injury.

I generally hold a higher opinion of Girardi as a manager than most, but that was asinine (and this isn't hindsight second-guessing. I was stunned when I saw Chapman back on the hill after the delay).

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Josh Johnson doesn't understand the fuss.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Songbird

Royals gonna Royal ...

Battle Royale in process at Camden after Ventura beaned Machado.

5. Songbird

"And here comes Chris Davis ... you don't want that big sucker coming at you."

6. Songbird

Not quite Odor but Machado got a good shot in.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Hopefully that wakes 'em back up.

8. Songbird

LOL. Trumbo bashed his 20th, and Davis followed with a bomb.

Trumbo is Mr. Homer & RBI.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nothing happening in Milwaukee

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Never mind.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I see the Royals were in another brawl. Probably not their fault.

12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Nothing ever happens in Milwaukee. #JuanNieves

Draft saved Draft deleted