1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, the image still bothers me. People will notice that a lot more than the text in the post.

2. cranberry

Thank you.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All right, maybe that is a little better.

cranberry and TigerVols like this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You know, I think there's a lot of evangelical Christians who would raise their hand and say "me!" to that. Those are my people, so to speak, and I see a lot of that kind of thing on Facebook.

But - and this pains me to say - some of these wonderful people are some of the most unsophisticated political thinkers of the 21st Century.

5. cranberry

Define conservative. I think there is often very little overlap ground between religious (typically anti-abortion) conservatives, small-government conservatives, strong military conservatives, states rights conservatives, gun rights conservatives, anti-immigration conservatives and fiscal conservatives.

Kristol represents the establishment version of conservative, which embraces small-government, fiscal and strong military -- the combination of conservatism that coincidentally puts the most money in the pockets of really wealthy people. Also, the kinds of conservatism that don't really excite the GOP base very much, as demonstrated by the failures of Walker and Rubio and Bush during this election cycle.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I think a case can be made for Christians being painted with the same broad evangelical/conservative label, much like some want to think all Muslims march along with IS. I consider myself a Christian, yet I find parts of the conservative agenda counter to my understanding of the Bible.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So do I. Giant chunks of it.

Inky_Wretch and HanSenSE like this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Except that Trump waxed Cruz in all the non-Texas parts of the Bible Belt.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sometimes I find your bombast amusing ... the other 95% of the time I find myself asking, "How is it possible for someone as brilliant as him to write such stupid shit?"

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is the biggest head-scratcher in a campaign chock-full of head-scratchers.

Guess it goes to show that, no pun intended, fear of Messkins trumps fear of God.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner and cranberry like this.
  12. cranberry

I was never on the fence, but I've always had a place in my heart for the ultra-idealist liberal wing of the party. Until this year.

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.