1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

They are the picture of an eating disorder. They starve themselves of homegrown talent (Kurt Suzuki, drafted in 2004, was the last position player of note they drafted) and go bare-bones on payroll. They purge their proven talent -- Swisher, Haren, Gio Gonzalez, Trevor Cahill, Donaldson, Cespedes, Kazmir -- in return for lesser-known, cheaper replacements. The 2012-14 playoff teams defied the odds with these methods, which are clearly meant for only short-term success (three winning seasons since 2007).

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

OK. This is boring.

4. TheSportsPredictor

5. TheSportsPredictor

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

It was the tattoos.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The A's are particularly adept at keeping their good players until it becomes time to pay them, at which point they flip them for prospects who largely bear fruit. When it's time to pay those guys, the cycle repeats itself.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ventura misses 2 starts. Thought he'd miss one.....I'm fine with it.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

doctorquant likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know y'all don't all follow the MLB draft as closely as I do, so allow me to let you in on the highlight of the MLB Network broadcast:

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

God that's awesome. Thanks!

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

That's just not sustainable. Beane's star has faded because the generations of player acquired in successive trades get progressively worse. He hit the jackpot in 2007-08, when three successive deals brought in Chris Carter, Brett Anderson, Carlos Gonzalez (for Dan Haren), Gio Gonzalez (Nick Swisher) and Josh Donaldson (Rich Harden).

Since then, one could argue the best players to arrive via trade -- Matt Holiday, Jeff Samardizja, Jon Lester, Ben Zobrist -- were all short-term rentals. The caliber of players who get traded stays high. The same can't be said of those who arrive.

Draft saved Draft deleted