1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Who do YOU want to win the briefcase this year?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anybody but Del Rio.
    Seriously.
    I like all of the other guys in the match. They can all go, and it should be a hell of a match. I'm looking forward to it.
    Del Rio, though, is Mexican Sheamus. He's got in-ring talent, he's a passable transition champion if they need one, but he does nothing to get me excited about seeing it. Can't stand him.

Baron Scicluna and Rainman like this.
  3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Owens win it and then feud with Sami til SummerSlam where Sami bets him he can beat him for the Briefcase or he'll walk.

That sets up a possibility of El Generico returning if Sami loses. I know we've seen the masked wrestler thing before but Sami was fantastic as El Generico and it might work. You never know.

Rainman likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Owens, just because he would be great while holding it. Even though, the E usually has the winner job out for six months for some ridiculous reason.

It is funny though, that the briefcase, in a way, has almost become on the level of a title itself.

Rainman likes this.
  5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I like where they are with the Zayn-Owens feud for now. It doesn't need a blow-off match. They've established the basics of their rivalry -- former friends, Owens turned, now they hate each other -- and it's the kind of thing that can just simmer in the background for years. They can bring it to the forefront in matches like this, where they naturally run into each other, but it doesn't need to follow the familiar three-month script.
    Plus, Zayn seems to be getting over on his own merits. He's a good worker and people like him. No need to change the gimmick right now, just as he's getting a foothold.

Rainman likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Definitely Owens or Zayn.

Funny how little Dean Ambrose seems to matter in this match.

Rainman likes this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Kind of agree with the Masked Man, who pointed out that Ambrose seems to do best in big feuds, and fades into obscurity when he's in the midcard.

Rainman likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ambrose seems to be gearing up for the Summerfest Shield reunion match with Rollins and Reigns, so he doesn't need the briefcase right now. The exception is if he cashes in during the Rollins-Reigns match or rematch and screws over one of them the same way Rollins cashed in at Wrestlemania. It'd be a redux, but it'd make sense with those guys involved.
    Jericho doesn't either, since he's in a different role. I'd like to see him get it because I'm a Jericho mark and because it would reinforce his status as a top-notch contender. That's slipped in recent years as he's been mostly in mid-card feuds.
    Del Rio sucks, for reasons stated above, which means he'll probably win it. Maybe they can convince Donald Trump to take a break from campaigning and do another WWE run, and have a ready-made feud.
    I like Zayn, but giving him the briefcase might feel too much like they're trying to rehash the Daniel Bryan storyline. If the IC title hadn't been so diminished in recent years, Zayn could be a memorable holder of that belt, but I'm not sure he's world title material yet.
    Which leaves Cesaro and Owens. Cesaro is fun to watch, but I think Owens would be a lot better. He's so damn good in the ring and on the mic, that he could do a great job of stalking the champion while waiting for the right moment.

Rainman likes this.
  9. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I really want Owens to win. I think he's one of the best in the business going today. My next question is do you think Vince sees WWE Champion material in him?

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Anybody but KO winning is a mistake.

Therefore Jericho will win.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far. With the exception of Del Rio, they all have some upside to holding the briefcase. Even Jericho can carry a feud and would be a fun transitional champion.
    I do agree Owens would probably get the most mileage out of winning it, though.

12. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

C'mon, nobody wants a Roman-Del Rio main event title feud while everyone else toils in midcard?

Draft saved Draft deleted