1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't want to get into a big thing, but Rice had better OBP and SLG (and OPS+ and BA and obviously OPS).

The top-3 finishes was 4-3 Parker. Top-5 finishes was 6-5 Rice.

Rice was definitely the bigger asshole to reporters, so you have that.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Parker didn't have as much a chance to be DH when he was on the Pirates.

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And in four years as a full-time DH at the end of his career, he still didn't play as many games at a non-position as Rice.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

My bad I flipped their OBPs and SLGs. #YOLO

Parker still had 106 more XBHs than Rice. Also had 34- and 31-HR seasons after 34. Rice hit 31 homers after age 34.

5. LongTimeListener

Well that must have pushed him well past Rice's career HR total then, hitting all those late ones.

cjericho likes this.
  6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I mentioned his ability to run and field, but I know simpletons like homers. Of course, Parker spent most of his career at Three Rivers, where he hit 88 homers. Rice hit 208 homers at Fenway.

7. LongTimeListener

All right. Well, this has been fun. We will meet in Cooperstown on Dave Parker Day.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Yeah you got me there. Zing. I guess it's great you can only wrap your mind around counting stats.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Rice discussion takes me back.

I'm guessing there will never be another season like 1975 with Lynn and Rice (both rookies with the Red Sox) finishing 1 and 3 in the AL MVP voting.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You guys always have to make everything about Rice.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cocaine is a hell of a drug. If it wasn't Dave Parker would be a Hall of Famer.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't realize this, but Ichiro Suzuki is about to pass Pete Rose on the all-time hits list -- if you count his totals in Japan, which that nation's fans and media are apparently doing. Of course, Rose is willing to point out that the NPB is not the Major Leagues:

Pete Rose: 'They're trying to make me the Hit Queen' in Japan

Actually, I see Pete's point here. It is his record and I can understand him resisting someone trying to push him off the pedestal. The Japanese leagues aren't exactly the minors, but they're definitely not on the same level as MLB. Still, for Ichiro to reach 3,000 hits in the U.S., which he'll do this year, is pretty damn impressive, considering when he started playing here.

Draft saved Draft deleted