1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Commandeering all four planes was the easy part. Getting into the country, getting flight training and not arousing suspicion -- among 19/20 people -- was the hard part. The 9/11 report outlines how many clues the U.S. government missed:

U.S. intelligence frequently picked up reports of attacks planned by al Qaeda. Working with foreign security services, the CIA broke up some al Qaeda cells. The core of Bin Ladin's organization nevertheless remained intact. In December 1999, news about the arrests of the terrorist cell in Jordan and the arrest of a terrorist at the U.S.-Canadian border became part of a "millennium alert." The government was galvanized, and the public was on alert for any possible attack......​

Though the "planes operation" was progressing, the plotters had problems of their own in 2001. Several possible participants dropped out; others could not gain entry into the United States (including one denial at a port of entry and visa denials not related to terrorism). One of the eventual pilots may have considered abandoning the planes operation. Zacarias Moussaoui, who showed up at a flight training school in Minnesota, may have been a candidate to replace him.

Some of the vulnerabilities of the plotters become clear in retrospect. Moussaoui aroused suspicion for seeking fast-track training on how to pilot large jet airliners. He was arrested on August 16, 2001, for violations of immigration regulations. In late August, officials in the intelligence community realized that the terrorists spotted in Southeast Asia in January 2000 had arrived in the United States.

These cases did not prompt urgent action. No one working on these late leads in the summer of 2001 connected them to the high level of threat reporting. In the words of one official, no analytic work foresaw the lightning that could connect the thundercloud to the ground.
    National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are right, YF.

Also, Christianity, as lived by Christ, is the epitome of radical.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Except Daddy has condemned him. But OK.

As usual, you see what you want to see. His ex-wife has said he was mentally unstable and abusive. There is no firm evidence he was actually gay. The fact he visited the club proves nothing about his sexuality.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, what do you know? Sometimes we can't see our own patterns. Thanks, YF!

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sorry, gotta disagree with you YF. I know several Muslims, a couple of whom are very devout. Unless they've been running me through the long con of long cons, they're not radical in the least.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are quotes from guys who he approached romantically.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Point of order: Yes, technically, his dad "condemned" him. But, he did so by saying it's God's job, not mere mortals', to bring the wrath of hell on homosexuals.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I still don't get the million to one shot. Our bumbling government agencies missed a ton of clues. *THAT'S* a million to one shot??

9. CD Boogie

Yeah, but perhaps he just joined Grindr to inflame his radical side toward the gays.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I thought he said that "is above my pay grade."

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just remember. If a Christian wears clothes made of two fabrics, they're not good Christians.

And Christians aren't supposed to touch the skin of a dead pig. Therefore, Tim Tebow is a bad Christian.

12. CD Boogie

Please don't make me show my math. How about it was a really long shot that these 19 guys could successfully get into our country and obtain flight training without one of them tripping authorities to the plan. Of course it helps if people with the saudi embassy are helping you.

Draft saved Draft deleted