1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Have to break up the typing on the phone.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, Christ shook up the status quo, there's no doubt about that.

But, there's nothing in the life of Christ that I have to try and explain away, due to cultural or societal norms of the time.

Christ led a perfect life.

Even if you're not a believer -- and I'm not sure that I am -- Christ lived a life worth aspiring to.

Mohammad was a murderous pedophile. If he lived today, we'd put him in a jail cell with Jerry Sandusky. His life was vile, and not worth adoration of any kind.

3. YankeeFan

They're devout in their own way.

But, they're not following the religion as practiced by Mohammad.

I hate to go all Starman... you know, where he says any person who is anti-abortion, but won't kill an abortion doctor is a hypocrite, but...

If you're not following the example of Mohammad, and adhering to to the Koran, you're not a strict Muslim.

We kid ourselves when we call strict Muslims "radical". They aren't "twisting" the religion. They aren't "interpreting" the religion. They are following it, to the letter.

4. YankeeFan

Yeah, I don't think dear old dad is too broken hearted.

Do we expect him to say his son did good in this environment?

5. YankeeFan

What obstacles were there to prevent them from getting into the country?

A student or tourist visa wasn't a tough thing to get for a Saudi national. We made it easy for them.

What's hard about getting flight training? You sign up.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think we want this at his funeral, at least:

7. YankeeFan

Did Jodie write a book, that forms the basis of a religion, that I'm unaware of?

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

It must be exhausting fighting this fight on two fronts, YF. But I hear you have easy access to coffee, so you should be fine.

Ace likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

One might argue that fundamentalism is a form of radicalism. It certainly is with other religions.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually, no, when you get right down to it, Mohammed himself practiced more than one version of Islam. And I can assure you that those of the Shia tradition do not consider those of the Sunni tradition to be following the religion practiced by their prophet (and neither do the Sunnis consider the Shiites to be behaving likewise). That Islamic terrorism has comes from both sides of the street, as it were, runs strongly counter to the "Islam in its pure form commands thus and such behavior" position ...

11. YankeeFan

Killing non-believers is the one thing both sides agree on.

The split was largely based on the question of succession -- about power. Doctrinal differences have emerged as time has passed.

But, the Koran, and the life of the Prophet, are what's important. And, neither is peaceful.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And some of you thought the Orlando discussion was over because the original thread was locked.

Draft saved Draft deleted