1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Any one of us could end up on one of these lists for inadvertently associating with the wrong people.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

FBI pats Muslims on the head -- some Muslims do report extremists in their midst.

But, the one father mentioned regrets his dealings with the FBI, which resulted in his son getting 11 years in prison.

The article also points out that many only want to report extremists if they fear imminent violence.

Why? Because the FBI might arrest them, instead of helping to steer them towards some non-violent path.

We don't have rehab programs for Jihadists!

And, so, instead of calling the FBI, the Orlando shooter's wife tried to "talk him out of it" herself.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  3. YankeeFan

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I must be missing how this is different from any other family with a member heading down the wrong path.

5. YankeeFan

I'm sure it's not.

But, the FBI wants to congratulate Muslims for reporting folks they suspect of preparing to launch a terror attack.

That's a bare minimum as far as "cooperation" goes.

And, they want to discuss/negotiate with the FBI regarding how these guys are handled. If they aren't an "imminent" threat, they want their "trust" in the FBI reciprocated. They want "programs", not arrests of potential Jihadists.

That's not how it works.

6. MisterCreosote

I don't know. "Radicalization" is a long process, and can be stopped in the early stages.

What you seem to arguing for is akin to checking your son into rehab for getting drunk once.

If someone is reading the Koran an awful lot and citing it an awful lot, is that the same as hanging around outside a military base scoping it for vulnerabilities?

I don't think the government should be in the business of funding "Jihadist rehab," but of course people would not want to ruin family or friends' lives if there's a way, any way, to avoid it.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We try to intervene in cases where we know kids are at risk or heading toward gang association and crime. Why wouldn't interventions/programs/education be part of the overall approach to reducing terrorism? Why wouldn't we try to work closely with the community to implement such programs?

CD Boogie and bigpern23 like this.
  8. YankeeFan

Reminds me of a joke:

I gave money to a charity once, and nobody calls me a philanthropist, but you suck one cock...

If you're consuming jihadist materials and cheering on successful terror attacks, you're an extremist. And, I'm unaware of a successful program to bring someone back from extremism -- especially if they aren't seeking such a program.

9. YankeeFan

I'm not sure midnight basketball is going to solve the issue.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

OK, but if my son or daughter was doing that, what possible incentive could I have to immediately report them to the FBI rather than try until I can't try anymore to bring them back to reality? And, do you think I'd be more likely to report them if I was told I better report it as soon as I'm aware of it, or I'll be arrested and detained too?

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

How about if your son or daughter was playing Medal of Honor and killing tangos all over the world and enjoying it, should they be reported to the proper authorities?

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I always roll my eyes when it comes to the fears/thoughts/quotes/arguments about how the contamination by the ways of the Western world inevitably figures into the actions of the killers involved in these jihadist (or suspected jihadist) stories.

There really is a simple solution to their problem: They could leave, go away, go somewhere less contaminated, etc...

Draft saved Draft deleted