1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think that's what the Koran demands of them.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yeah, the idea is to take over, not adapt or leave.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So the Muslims here who aren't killing infidels would be akin to Christian missionaries in Africa who don't bother to try to convert the natives?

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that murderous Muslims like Mateen are just trying to do their part to convert people to Islam? If so, I don't see a lot of converting going on, among the dead, or their families, or acquaintances. Whatever they're trying to do through fear and violence is coercion, not conversion.

Christ-following absolutely is not based on coercion.

old_tony and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How does it work, YF? What should the FBI do when they notice someone checking out ISIL websites, or exploring the Koran, or posting hateful messages on Facebook?

Should such a person immediately be arrested? On what charge(s)? Should that person immediately be deported? On what charge(s)?

"Imminent threat" is kind of an important term when it comes to arresting/prosecuting anyone who hasn't yet actually committed a crime.

I'm genuinely curious how you think it should work when a Muslim, or anyone else, reports someone they suspect of preparing to launch a terror attack. What's your solution? Is every report worthy of arrest/indefinite containment?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If it isn't, then why do certain followers insist upon having their religion be placed in the public arena, like school prayer, or the 10 Commandments on public property?

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Insist? I'd say it's the other side that insists. Anytime anyone prays, or suggests it might be a good idea, particularly since nobody actually has to do it (or read them, or follow them, in the case of the 10 Commandments, because, really, who's going to know if you didn't, during some quiet time? -- it gets sent to court, shot down, taken down, whatever, exactly because of rules separation of church and state.

Would you rather Christians murdered others and claimed they're just practicing their religion? How anyone can possibly compare Christianity to radical Islam, particularly in this age, which Christians have joined and radical Islamists have not, is beyond me.

I'll say it again: Christ-following is not based on coercion. Anyone who is a Christ-follower knows and understands this. That is why missionaries spend years -- literally years -- in far-flung places sharing and yes, attempting to lead others to conversion. You know, without killing anybody, although they sometimes have to be careful not to get killed, themselves.

Christianity says things like "I am the vine, and you are the branches," in order to encourage growth of the faith. What equivalent can be said about radical Islam?

"It is a cancer, and you are the cells"?

Hmm...cells....Ironic, isn't it?

old_tony likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

"How anyone can possibly compare Christianity to radical Islam, particularly in this age, whichChristians have joined and radical Islamists have not, is beyond me."

The modern American liberal is capable of tremendous ignorance.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Honest question.

Canada has about three times as many Muslims than the US, per capita. Why don't Canadian Muslims shoot up gay bars?

cranberry and Smallpotatoes like this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

That's an honest question?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"nobody actually has to do it."

OK, Let's say your boss is a Muslim, and he wants everyone to pray to Allah while at work. You're good with that, right? After all, you don't have to do it, right?

Or, if I'm in a public school, and over the loudspeaker, the announcement comes, "Everybody bow your heads and pray." And then comes a Christian prayer.

Regardless of if I choose to bow my head or not, or repeat the words, I'm not being coerced? Not only am I being forced to listen to a prayer that I may not agree with, but I may have to deal with retaliation from my peers and the school faculty if I don't pray. That's coercion. They may say it's voluntary, but when there are possible consequences if you don't volunteer, then it's not truly voluntary, is it?

Take a high school football team. Coach always wants to pray before and after games. He always leads with a Christian prayer. As a player, are you forced to pray with him? Well, technically not. You always can just stand there. But what if you walk away? What if you turn your back? Maybe the coach is a good guy and doesn't care. Or maybe, he takes away your playing time, or throws you off the team for "not being a team player." Why should a kid have to be concerned about that just because his coach wants to impose his religion on his team?

All those scenarios I listed are coercion, because the person coercing it is in a position of power over the coerced. Regardless of religion.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah. Sure. Why not?

cranberry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted