1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't use the word coercion. YF says the Koran directs followers to kill infidels. I says the Bible directs followers to lead others to Christ. Some denominations put a higher priority on this than others.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hillary Clinton doesn't think people on the no-fly list should be able to purchase guns.

Does anyone want to defend this? Any Joe McCarthy fans out there?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who're of the mindset that nobody should be able to purchase guns. So Herself's take is, to them, acceptable as a preliminary step.

4. Dick Whitman

I would have a difficult time taking seriously any argument by those people, moving forward, on any topic, that rests on the Constitution. The ship has sailed. There is an individual right to bear arms.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There also is an individual right to free speech. That doesn't restrict the government from fining people if they curse on the radio or TV stations if a breast is exposed. No rights are absolute.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

People don't understand the very serious due process problem with the no fly list. What they're hearing is that suspected terrorists shouldn't be able to buy guns and that sounds like common sense.

cranberry and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Which list do you have to be on to lose your right to curse on television?

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you're not one o' them Islams you got nothing to worry about ... [/people]

cranberry and franticscribe like this.
  9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

There's a gun store near me that quite literally refuses customers they suspect of being Islamic. Or foreign. Unless'en of course you're from one of those countries that are alright. You know, the Euro-peen ones.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Government laws against broadcast obscenity.

I get the due process argument. Which is why there should be due process procedures for those who are on the list. What's the harm in making people wait to buy a gun while the government proves their case for you to be on the no-fly list? After all, suspected killers have their right to freedom restricted to a jail cell, even though they are legally innocent until the government proves its case in court.

11. Dick Whitman

Gay couples should have to prove they aren't child molesters before being issued a marriage license.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Tougher gun laws. I can't go and buy an assault rifle. I can't buy a rocket launcher or a cruise missile either.

I don't disagree that Radical Islam is a problem but some folks need to get to know some Muslims to get some perspective.

Remarkably ordinary in hopes and dreams, good neighbors, one of the wives makes us Hummus (not a fan, my wife is).

I think you can quote chapter and verse from the Koran but the reality of the text doesnt reflect the reality of the people.

Draft saved Draft deleted