1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sports writers should have to prove they're not Islamists before they're allowed to publish. Otherwise we can't be sure they're not burying instructions to "lone wolves" in their articles.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Surely you're not suggesting that the government has already restricted or flat-out denied certain Constitutional rights under the guise of "keeping us safe."

That doesn't happen in 'Murica.

I can't imagine the public outcry if someone suggested we needed to, say, sacrifice our Fourth Amendment rights for the greater public safety.

3. doctorquant

I would take this to the "Cheats at golf" thread, but I've grown quoted tired of that one, so ... DW raises an interesting point, which is that supposedly sophisticated types are falling over themselves to get behind a proposed policy that isn't a gnat's ass different from this store's.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's the Democratic Party Patriot Act.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. doctorquant

Actually, I want to walk back what I wrote moments ago: This proposed policy would be way the hell worse than that store's. That store's just a couple of dipshits. This policy would have the whole force of federal government behind it.

old_tony and franticscribe like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Accused killers should be able to walk free until the government proves its case.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The Patriot Act is a good example of the damage that can be done when you have a simultaneously scared and ignorant populace whipped into a frenzy. But I think calmer heads will prevail this time and there remains plenty that can be done to make the public safer short of denying people due process or their sacred fucking 2nd amendment rights.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No.

As DW said, anyone wants a complete ban on guns should not be taken seriously. And I think the number who do is a lot lower than some seem to think.

9. Dick Whitman

What charges have been brought against people on the no-fly list? What open court proceedings have they been subject to? Which public records may I FOIA to understand the accusations against them?

10. Dick Whitman

I know at least one. She is about to be elected president.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, but the government is supposed to be trained to recognize terrorists, even if they're not wearing a label that says they are.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Good Lord, you come up with some real doozies

Draft saved Draft deleted