1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sorry. Just surprised you actually supoirt that

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yeah, this isn't trolling. This is something he believes. It's not crazy. And he's not saying it in an inflammatory way to get a reaction out of people. It's not trolling. Period.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why is it surprising?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you ...

I'm always amused (another word might be disgusted) by experts on the Constitution who want to see it amended in ways other than by those procedures explicitly laid out in it.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I just never heard this from DW before. Don't know many folks who support that. I agree the amendment is seriously outdated, but I disagree with a gun ban and understand the purpose of the amendment.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I briefly entertained the idea that mandatory voting would be a good thing for the U.S., but then the 2016 field of presidential candidates....

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I find it pretty funny that we like to hold ourselves up as the world's beacons of freedom and virtue, while at the same time arguing that we need to be ARMED in order to feel safe.

8. Dick Whitman

I thought you agreed that the AR-15 should be outlawed?

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I mean, even repealing the 2nd amendment wouldn't necessarily mean that all guns are banned (if that's what you mean by a gun ban). It would give the government the leeway to do so, for sure. Not arguing that. But that doesn't mean it actually would. Enough people still might not want that. It might just result in more guns being banned. A world where, say, you could still own non-automatic shotguns and rifles but not other guns. It also might result in some localities going with the complete gun ban - want to emphasize I'm not acknowledging it opens up the possibility to no one jumps on me for that. Just want to make the point that it's not necessarily fait accompli.

BDC99 likes this.
  10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I do. I think there is a limit to what should be available, but hunting and protection are important to supporters of the Second Amendment.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Is that what's actually being argued? Or is it that if you need to be armed to feel safe you should be free to be so.

12. Dick Whitman

What about handguns? Should Chicago be able to bar possession of handguns?

Draft saved Draft deleted