1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Theoretically, we could abolish the Second Amendment but still allow people to buy certain types of firearms with whatever restrictions cities, states and the feds want to enact, correct?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Right. Just like the idea that if Roe were overturned, legal abortion would suddenly go away. It might go away in some places, but then again ...

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. If you live in Montana and you want to go grizzly hunting, and the state permits you to own a hunting rifle, knock yourself out.

I mean, there's no Constitutional right to own a car. But we all own cars.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now you're trolling smallpotatoes!

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Less funny now.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Understood. Just curious how that would all play out. Not a Constitutional scholar by any means. Obviously

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Certainly not among the "only way to stop a bad guy with a gun..." crowd.

Or the "we're a check against TYRANNY!" crowd.

I don't see an argument for widespread gun ownership, other than the fairly outdated idea of hunting for sustenance, that doesn't run counter to our professed opinion of America's place in the world.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I despise the argument that if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, but regarding this question it fits. The people of Chicago don't have a right to defend themselves? So, no. But would I shed a tear if Chicago banned guns? No.

9. Dick Whitman

I think that shooting for sport is a pretty legitimate hobby. I have a 6-year-old. He and I have fun running around and shooting each other with Nerf guns or water guns. There's something about aiming and firing at targets that people seem to innately enjoy.

10. Dick Whitman

But should it be able to if it wants to?

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm continually amazed by people's defense of the second amendment. As someone wrote on Twitter, the constitution was written with no input from women or blacks, so yeah, that shit can be edited. Handguns and shotguns, in my opinion, that's it. Institute a mandatory buyback program for everything else. Afterwards, if you're caught with anything more powerful than that, you get serious jail time. Why can this not be implemented? Or at least floated? I don't give a shit if you bought something legally. Cocaine was once legal, too; just because you stocked up before it was made illegal doesn't make it legal to possess or use after the fact. Reasonable people understand this shit.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sure there is.

Draft saved Draft deleted