1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'd say no. I still think gun ownership is a right. I just think it should be somewhat limited.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Stop working my corners.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So there's two very different arguments and the one you're making isn't really the one you're quoting.

Argument one: The second amendment is stupid. Dick agrees!
    Argument two: Given that some people have the right to own guns, you should be able to take away that without due process. Dick - and I and a lot of people - disagree!
    Argument two is what banning people on the no-fly list from buying/owning guns does. Argument two isn't really a second amendment issue. It's a due process issue.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, way. If Utah wanted to ban cars tomorrow, it could.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And you think such a ban would survive a Supreme Court challenge?

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

OK, so forget I quoted from him and just take my comment as a standalone. The more people who are banned from buying guns the better. I'll weep when we have the first news article that quotes a relative who says, "Johnny would still be alive if he'd been allowed to buy a gun sooner."

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sure. Why wouldn't it?

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Interstate commerce.

9. doctorquant

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe pretty much everything we do or own really is at the sufferance of our government. But I suspect not. I would think those persnickety conservatives on the court would find some legal picayunery to defy the legislature of Utah.

If not, we could probably save a whole lot of legal costs by forgetting these proposals re: guns. After all, I'm pretty sure gay nightclubs aren't among the quieter places in this country, and the Constitution only provides for a right of peaceable assembly ...

10. doctorquant

Wait a minute. It's possible we might be talking about different things.

When you say Utah could ban cars, are you saying Utah could ban the use of cars? Or are you saying that Utah could ban the ownership of cars? Those are different things.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not really. If the thing standing between us and a tyrannical government is our guns, we're fucked six ways to Tuesday already.

I can't think of another way guns would be essential to freedom and virtue.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought Trump was about to be elected president, based on your most recent posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted