1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No. But I can guarantee that about 10,000 people will be killed with guns this year in the United States.

Repeal the sumbitch.

Iron_chet likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the case, then I can't figure out why you're in favor of restricting assault weapons. Seems like they'd come in very handy at that point.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Fair point. I don't think I'd be in favor of it if we weren't in our current situation.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. But, again, you keep bringing up the small groups of a few dozen people. I'm talking about the nightmare scenario where we've actually got a second civil war on our hands.
    Or maybe that'll never happen because we've already convinced ourselves it's a losing proposition, and whatever the government wants to do to us we should just accept it. Obama knows best.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no scenario under which a citizens army could rise up against the government. None.

CD Boogie likes this.
  6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

And all the "what if the government comes for you?" fantasies assume our all volunteer military of fellow Americans is standing by ready to shoot other Americans.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Also, the true check against tyranny here should be, according to our stated values, that we are good and respectful people who put the good of the country ahead of our individual well-being.

(LOL.)

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is it really a bedrock principle of our country? Or is that just something supported by a very loud lobby that scares the piss out of too many politicians, primarily ones who are part of the party you support?

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Betcha $5 Batman calls the Civil War "The War of Northern Aggression."

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

To answer your first question, yes.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's part of the Bill of Rights. I don't know how you can have more of a "bedrock principle" than that.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is the kind of simplistic analysis the NRA has relied upon for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted