1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Are there countries that don't have a second amendment yet allow gun ownership?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Nice theory. So, following along, what's the point of repealing the second amendment if not to effectively ban gun ownership?
    Crimes committed with guns are already covered under any number of statutes. Seems like an empty gesture.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Post padding is frowned upon.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

To ban some guns in some places.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Already a thing.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sure. But I think under Heller not far enough.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As DQ said, already allowed and not a terrible idea.
    Bars, nightclubs, stadiums, anywhere there's big crowds, alcohol and the potential for fistfights escalating into something worse, I'm for keeping guns and other weapons out of. I've been shaking my head at all the people claiming "If someone in Pulse had had a gun, fewer people might have died!" People bring guns to bars a lot on a random Saturday night in America, and it usually doesn't end in one of them being a hero.
    But that's really a different issue that's covered by different laws that have nothing to do with basic second amendment issues.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. doctorquant

It's not that we can't ban some guns from some places, or that we can't ban more guns from more places. I am convinced that the biggest issue people have with the 2nd Amendment is that it even exists. Like RickStain bitching about the Constitution and its being an impediment to whatever the majority deems necessary now, the idea that the Constitution actually protects that just short-circuits any other thought.

old_tony, Batman and YankeeFan like this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well sure. And if we made you King, you would repeal the Second Amendment, and let states/communities set their own standards.

But, if the Second Amendment were repealed, then the federal government could ban guns, and without you as King, that would be the fear.

10. doctorquant

I thought you were playing me earlier, but I see you weren't. My response would be that until such time as it's shown computer ownership isn't constitutionally protected, it is.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are operating under the delusion that I have bothered to learn anything about you.

More importantly, based on your posts, you clearly have been influenced. Sadly, you don't even realize it.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

My home state has been trying to push through carrying on college campuses for a while now. Nothing but trouble. And if ever sit next to someone in a bar with a sidearm, I'm leaving. No thanks.

Clearly, you haven't read many of my posts. If you think I give two shits what the NRA thinks, you are sadly mistaken.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted