1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Wow, I agree with you on something else.
    The NRA's own gun safety rules say you should never use a gun when using drugs or alcohol.
    As a matter of fact, I read an article suggesting that the NRA's own gun safety rules should become law.
    Damned good idea. Might not help with the mass shootings, but should help with a lot of the accidental ones.
    I've read somewhere that toddlers have killed more people with guns in this country than ISIS has.

Batman likes this.
  2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't think it. If you'll notice (which you wouldn't, of course), I asked a question, wondering if, perhaps, murderous Muslims are less inclined toward mass killings there because of greater numbers of Muslims. In other words, maybe they think it, relatively speaking?

I don't know. T_B_F posted his straightforward question, and I suggested some potential possibilities for answers: Canada in comparison to the U.S. in terms of world standing/impact/notoriety of a terrorist attack, Muslim population there as compared to the U.S., and, yes, the most likely difference -- the number of guns and gun crimes.

While you, of course, contributed nothing to the discussion other than to, as usual, belittle others.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Greater numbers of Muslims has never stopped murderous Muslims from committing suicide bombings and attacks in the Mideast.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Say what now?

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sorry. I see where you're coming from. It is a fact that Muslims are the most common victims of this violence.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's what you get when you let liberals control academia for 60 years.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

TINMHITTMAL. Riiight.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Your simplistic hot take suggesting that the country was "converted" deserves belittling.

We have had Muslim violence here. A ceremonial guard was shot and then the attacker tried to shoot up our parliament building.

The fact that he could not go to Walmart and by an assault weapon probably meant only one person other than himself got killed.

Is it really that hard to understand that less access to guns = less killing by guns?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Correct.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not that comfortable having a converted afterthought country just to the north.

How can we be sure that you and HC and JC and Huggy don't comprise a sleeper cell in our midst?

We may just need another wall.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    Donny in his element and HC like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A friend of mine made the point that if gun control advocates really want to get serious about this issue, they will take the time to learn about guns and speak the language. I think that's a pretty good point. We often come off like rubes not to be taken seriously, not too different from global warming deniers.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I sort of agree with you, but I think gun enthusiasts like to hide behind what many of might consider technical semantics. The latest example of that being all of the "Ha! It wasn't an AK-47 in Orlando!" bullshit. I concede that I don't know jack shit about guns and I have little interest in learning about them, yet I have absolutely no problem with responsible, intelligently regulated gun ownership.

What I do believe and to your point is that gun control advocates need to better articulate exactly what they want in a way that makes sense and doesn't lend itself to charges of extremism. I thought Just the facts m'aam did a good job of that with his post on the Boston Globe editorial thread on the journalism board.

Draft saved Draft deleted