1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's my argument?

Folks mock the idea of a "good guy with a gun" stopping or ending an attack.

But, all of these attacks eventually end when the good guys with guns show up.

Orlando went on for a while.

Ottawa ended quickly when the Sargent-at-Arms went and retrieved a pistol from his desk drawer.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If everyone carried guns everywhere there would be shootings in clubs every night and the body count every four months would dwarf what happened in Orlando.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it takes more than just a swinging dick and FREEDUHM to work parliamentary security.

You know damn well the "only a good guy with a gun..." argument is not made to encourage the presence of more trained security officers or police.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Ban alcohol.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The idea is that the enforcement power should be vested in a trained and designated person or small group of people, so as, as TSP notes, to prevent other incidents that would likely arise from an armed but organized group of people.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think twice about doing that at, say, a frat where the bros can't hold a single kegger without getting all rapey.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I see no use for drinking, so I'm fine with Prohibition 2.0.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Drinking does generally does not kill people in job lots. It might kill you over time, but that's self inflicted. Done to excess it will harm your family and those who care about you.

I don't have any problem with DUI laws to protect other people.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sigh. I don't know how you came to this conclusion, but you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about.

10. YankeeFan

MSNBC host arguing that persons in the country illegally should be able to travel to Mexico, for funeral of family member killed in Orlando, and then be allowed to return to the US without any problem.

11. YankeeFan

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, due process (along with its close cousin privacy) are perhaps the most pesky yet vital and precious rights we have as US citizens and the ones that set our country apart. I've been alarmed by some of the stuff I'm hearing, just like I was when people bought into the Patriot Act. Those rights are almost invariably attacked as the result of legitimate fear or fear mongering. When these concerns arise, it's a good idea to step back and reevaluate.

Draft saved Draft deleted