1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And do you think Catholicism has enriched your country because of spaghetti and meatballs?

This is some warped logic here. You could say your local cuisine would be poorer without Arab immigrants, but Islam ain't the reason for that. Those tasty recipes didn't come from the Koran.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    YankeeFan likes this.
  2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Is there a huge outcry from certain segments of the public (and Congress) to ban computers?

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The original question was regarding would the US and Canada be better off with no Muslims. My response was that culturally Muslims have contributed, especially cuisine wise which is a huge part of any culture.

Now I am sure not every Shawarma shop owner is a Muslim but the odds are pretty good that most of them are as they seem to be mostly owned by people from the Middle East.

If there was no emigration to Canada of Muslims then there probably is no bump in the yummy cuisine locally.

If there had been no Catholics allowed to emigrate, then there is probaby a cooresponding effect of not as much great Italian cuisine as most of the Italians who came to Canada were Catholic and brought parts of their culture here as well.

If there were no Hindus I probably don't get such a great selection of places to get Tandoori.

No Dowists and Buddhists then probably no Pho either.

So yes. Catholicism has brought me great spaghetti and meatballs.

Stoney likes this.
  4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Seriously, the idea that I have been brainwashed by the NRA is the most laughable thing I've seen on here in a loooong time. I guess I am just in denial. :rolleyes:

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And I understand that point, Tony. A reason that these rights are explicitly granted in the Constitution is because these are rights that would otherwise be in danger of being taken away. Look, for example, at how readily Democrats are right now to take away due process rights from suspected potential terrorists. But my point is that repealing the Second Amendment would not "ban" guns, though it would almost certainly result in a ban of some guns in some places. But I think when some posters hear "repeal the Second Amendment," they think that guns would immediately be illegal. They wouldn't. Abortion rights people are the same way. A lot of them think that overturning Roe v. Wade would "ban" abortions. It wouldn't. There's an affirmative step to be taken after that.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The real victims of Orlando are Muslim teenagers in NYC, worried about Islamaphobia:

7. Dick Whitman

There were a couple of towelheads shooting hoop in a driveway in my neighborhood last night. I lived to see another day, though. Phew.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you sure they weren't Sihks?

9. Dick Whitman

Like Darth Vader?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Good story on the upbringing of Omar Mateen, in which we see that spoiled, disaffected, insecure men tend to glom on to whatever extreme thing floats into their view, which, in this case, was Islamic extremism. Oh, and the guy loved guns. Loved em. Joked about them. Liked being in and around jobs where he might get one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/19/u...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Mateen also wanted to be a cop. This is also fairly common. Some of these kinds of people actually become cops. I know of two from my own childhood.

Which is why I have long been leery of upholding cops in our culture as role models. Which is why I'd rather, on day to day basis, they weren't armed.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say brainwashed, but man you spout a lot of their material. Also, you really need to stop posting about this as if I know anything about you. I don't, so I'm just responding to what is on this thread. I haven't bothered to learn anything about you beyond that. To steal a line from a poster who isn't around these days, you are woodwork.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yet you had no problem telling him what he thought.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted