1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Of course he is. He told us so.

And, btw, the evidence that he was a closeted gay man is scant.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I must admit, this reasoning for the redactions strikes me as rather ludicrous:

"The reason why we're going to limit these transcripts is to avoid re-victimizing those people that went through this horror. But it will contain the substance of his conversations," she said.

Is there some reason why hearing a word like ISIS would add some huge new level of "re-victimizing" that hearing the rest of the tapes wouldn't? Is it less traumatic if victims know not the reason for the senseless slaughter? If the Obama administration is that terribly concerned about avoiding re-victimization then don't release the tapes at all. Otherwise, just let us hear what was actually said. Don't try to hide words from us.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
    bigpern23 likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

They're not releasing tapes -- just edited transcripts.

And, the idea that we suspend open access to government records to prevent re-victimization must be a new concept. Never heard of it before today.

Dick Whitman and Iron_chet like this.
  4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

A ban on guns would come days -- not weeks, months or years -- after the Second Amendment would be repealed.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nah.

6. YankeeFan

Assuming there was an environment where the Second Amendment could be repealed, you'd have to assume there would also be enough votes to ban guns.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't really need to do anything. And I'd much rather be woodwork than the most despised poster on the board (by a wide margin). But I appreciate your concern.

JC and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm a billionaire Russian oligarch posting this from a solid-gold yacht off Myknonos.

9. YankeeFan

Well, as evidence of his proclamation, he slaughtered 49 people.

What do you have?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, all mass shootings in the USA are committed by Islamic terrorists?

How about you cool your jets and let the investigation play itself out before dismissing any and every theory behind his motivation? Maybe he was a diehard jihadist. Maybe he was a Columbine kid with a funny name.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Opulence. He has it.
    That and a miniature giraffe.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted