1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Second Amendment rights exercised in Orlando

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 11, 2016.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is horrible either way, but if he had planning or operational help from ISIS, it changes what our response needs to be. But the mere act of him saying he was part of ISIS doesn't automatically make it so.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Whatever his denomination is, it's not killing people daily across the globe.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm a lousy Catholic.

But, I went to Catholic Schools my entire life, so I'm pretty familiar what's required of me, and where I fall short.

Not killing infidels has not been raised as one of my failings.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Are you a Muslim?

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone doesn't want us to know the motive. Related, if you're a journalist, what do you think of my recent query?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually it ends with an episode in season one (or two) of The West Wing ...

7. YankeeFan

No one is saying he was specifically directed by ISIS.

ISIS has called on Muslims around the world to come join the Caliphate, or if they can't do so, to fight for them where they are.

The "application process" is relatively simple, and Mateen followed it to the letter.

8. YankeeFan

Look, if you're not Christian, that's fine, but then I would just ask how familiar you are with the religion.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But that declaration might not speak to his motives.

What if he found a sheik willing to give his family $1m if he staged an attack? Would religion or money be the driving factor? Or both?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is so much silly parsing going on. He was inspired by radical Islam. Is he a terrorist mastermind? Obviously not. He barely knew the factions from one another. But he knew that, for whatever nuanced political squabbles those groups may be having, the basic outline: Kill infidels in the name of Islam.

11. YankeeFan

You have a fertile imagination.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

By your definition, I would be considered a lousy Jew. Bar Mitzvahed and Confirmed, with an appetite for bacon.

Draft saved Draft deleted