1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forgot about the upcoming brand split. I figure they're going back to two titles, just a couple of years after proclaiming that they would be unified forever.

The main event actually was very good, but as Bradley said, neither guy was playing a straight role as face or heel.

I missed the Divas, er, Women's match because I looked away to watch the NBA. That says it all right there. Dana Brooke does not fit an Arn Anderson role. One of the great things about Arn was that he was in many ways the antithesis of Flair. Flair had the loud, party, suits, limo gimmick (which he lived in real life), while Arn was this solid, quiet guy who, when he spoke, you paid attention. Brooke is just another pretty face, the Lay to this version of LayCool.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Did anybody else think the ending of Rollins-Reigns was a little weird?
    The spear/pedigree counter looked awesome, like Roman hit a damn brick wall. It was a perfect finish, except it wasn't the finish. Then Rollins hit the last pedigree to close it out, and it felt misplaced. Makes me wonder if there was a miscommunication or a minor botch in there on somebody's part.

3. Baron Scicluna

I could see that, logically, they get switched around. A normal pedigree gets hit first, then kicked out and then you add a one that has surprise, and take into consideration that he already had one hit on him, and it's more devastating.

Or, logically, the surprise one isn't fully hit, so it doesn't have the full devastating effect, and gets kicked out. But he's still mostly out of it, so a second one fully knocks him out.

Either way really makes sense.

It was a little weird having the doctor and refs come out for the missed spear, but I figured that was just for effect so it would look like he already wasn't 100 percent.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

It was just booked really really poorly. We know Charlotte and Becky can work. We believe Nattie can work. Yet the finish involved three or four of them pulling each other's hair. And you'd think a tag match would be a good time to get Becky a win withing taking shine off the champion, alas not so much.

I'm starting to wonder if there's still things the Big Three need to learn as far as making amazing matches with people besides each other, or it this was just a case of dropping the ball.

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Seth talked in Roman's ear for a noticeably-longer-than-normal-spot-calling couple of seconds before hitting the second Pedigree, for whatever that's worth.

6. Baron Scicluna

That could be true as well. When they're training together, they develop a comfort style with each other, and are able to do great. But the mark of a great worker is being able to have great matches with anyone.

It remind me of when the original Sin Cara came in. They tried to teach him WWE style, but he just couldn't mesh with it. The only guys he could work with were fellow luchadores and guys like Bryan and Jericho who had been all over the world and could adapt their style to his.

7. Baron Scicluna

If I remember right, Chioda also nearly counted three in that. Maybe Roman wasn't supposed to kick out.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just rewatched the ending. Chioda stops his hand from hitting the mat on the first Pedigree, so there was no botch.

The other thing people thought was botched came in the tag match, when Enzo hits the splash on Anderson. The ref started counting, but stopped because Anderson's shoulders weren't on the mat. The crowd counts to three and thinks Enzo and Cass have won the tag titles, but it was a correctly called move on the ref's part.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

MITB was pretty much shit.

New Day: I'm over it. I've been over it. Stale as FUCK. BTW, that whole match was botch city at the end and it started with Enzo messing up the Trouble in paradise. And if I'm not mistaken, an illegal man was pinned.

Corbin-Zigs: While it was a good match, no one cares.

Diva tag: Made no sense and was shit.

Styles-Cena: Was a great match til they f'ed up the ending. Cena did not lose clean and now we'll get to hear all over again how "Styles couldn't do it without his boys"

MITB: I was ok with Ambrose winning it but did it seem like that was a toned down MITB match? Not a lot of high spots that I saw and outside of Owens and Zayn laying it on the line, no one really did much of anything special.

US Title: Saw that squash coming, no matter if Titus' kids were in the front row for Father's Day. Although I did love Rusev doing the "Chong Li" bit from Bloodsport at ringside.

Reigns-Rollins: Was pretty good but yeah the cash-in was a no-shit Sherlock moment.

There also seemed to be a TON of bad camera shots that showed the wrestlers talking with each other several times. I don't think I've ever seen the E have so many screw ups in that regard. Yes, of course they have to speak to each other, but man it was on camera a BUNCH, especially in the Cena-Styles match.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The legal man got pinned in the tag match. I know it was a clusterfuck for the most part, but they at least got that right.

And you're right about New Day. I like them, but it's time to do something else with them. I thought last night was the perfect opportunity for someone to beat them and do something fresh in the tag division.

As far as Cena-Styles, the ending marred what was an excellent match. Another Dusty Finish fucks up another spectacular match. And Cena really needs to stop calling the spots so loudly. Yeah they do have to talk to each other, but quiet it down a few tads.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you said this because I've been over them for a while and felt like I was the only one

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I got tired of them a little past Wrestlemania.

Every now and then they'll say something funny but they also seem to kill the joke in the same 30 seconds.

Draft saved Draft deleted