1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

After the 0-5 homestand, I figured the Cardinals would drop three straight to the Cubs. Unless STL completely falls apart in the next five outs, they're going to sweep the Cubs -- and still be 9.5 games out of first.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He's no Chris Sale

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

I would agree with that. Chris Sale leads the American League in innings. Arrieta probably leads the National League in pitches per inning.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. RickStain

When your ERA is over four for the last month, is your team really benefitting from those extra innings?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That was skewed by two bad starts. He's been his usual self the past couple.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Before today's game, Arrieta was 20th in the majors in innings pitched and he was on pace for 221 1/3 innings pitched. There were six pitchers in Major League Baseball who pitched more innings than that in 2015, including Arrieta.

8. RickStain

He has been losing it the last month or so. Routinely 80 pitches through five.

9. Dick Whitman

If I were drafting a Little Leagues rules team, Jake Arrieta would certainly be my first pick.

10. Dick Whitman

Fifth 5-inning start of the year today.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I need a refresher course ... Why does Arrieta have DW in AOWM mode?

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Yup, we're already there.
    Let's say 1992 (Camden Yards) began a relative -- we are talking about fleecing taxpayers and funding billionaires here -- Age of Reason for MLB parks. Multi-purpose stadiums located outside of the city center? Gone. Hello, architectually-sound baseball-only parks within the city limits. Sounds like grounds for long-term committments. Right?
    That a) the Braves are moving to the Cobb County suburbs, home of the some of the worst traffic imaginable, b) the Diamondbacks think Chase Field (1998) as it stands is past its prime and c) the Rangers are soon leaving a perfectly fine stadium built in 1994 means yes, it hasn't taken long at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted