1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So some folks are panicking over a slump and Dickie is using that to troll the thread with repetitive, lazy bullshit. Got it.

I learned this lesson in 1990. Doug Drabek ranged from shitty to mediocre the entire month of June. On June 28, he made his fifth start of the season in which he had lasted less than six innings, this time giving up four runs on 10 hits. That raised his ERA to 3.26, well above Arrieta's current 1.74. Given that this was before I stopped bothering to be a Pirates' fan, I was very disappointed. I even attended one of the stinkers, watching him give up six runs in five innings of a loss to the Mets.

Drabek won the Cy Young Award that season. And what he had that year was an actual slump, not just a few starts when he didn't go deep enough in the game. The only question here is if Dickie is actually overreacting or if he is just trolling the thread.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He is mad because he talked shit about advanced stats not appreciating Sale right before Sale went into a slump that proved the advanced stats right, so suddenly innings pitched per start is *very* important to him.

3. outofplace

Thank you. I had forgotten about that. It would be really nice if Dickie would refrain from trolling the running sports threads, but that is expecting far too much from him.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Rick mischaracterizes the evidence. It's unfortunate. I was an ally of his on advanced metrics. But he's a dick. Chris Sale and Don Cooper announced in spring training that he was going to try to conserve velocity in order to induce more contact and pitch deeper into games. Through nine or 10 games, he carried that plan out to perfection, judging by the results. I said it was "interesting" to see if could keep that up. Fangraphs wrote an article saying that Sale had lost velocity. It didn't mention that his peak velocity was still the same as it always is. I noted that. Rick lost his shit.

Meanwhile, Jake Arrieta keeps walking the ballpark. But I'm not allowed to bring that up. I can't wait until they get swept in October. Hopefully by the Cardinals.

5. Dick Whitman

Fuck you. Arrieta's walks are a concern. It's not "trolling" to bring it up, you blister on the ass of the Internet.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Fangraphs just didn't appreciate the brilliance of his "pitch extra good when there are runners on base but only for the first third of the season" plan.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

I look forward to the next FanGraphs piece breathlessly telling us about a Cubs' road victory.

At Wrigley.

8. outofplace

You got your ass kicked in an argument and you are responding with this trolling bullshit about Arrieta. And before some asshole starts talking about evidence, there is evidence of your trolling all over this message board. If the slump continues over a longer period of time, it might become a concern. Right now, Arrieta is still on pace to be about as good as he was last season and you are as full of shit as ever.

And you aren't just bringing it up. You are repeating the same idiotic Little League joke over and over.

9. Dick Whitman

Fuck you. I said from his third or fourth start that he's walking too many people. He can't pitch out of the sixth inning. It's not "trolling" to point it out.

10. Dick Whitman

And what argument did I lose, dipshit? I said what Sale was doing was "interesting." It was. Three million people in Chicago lose their minds over his start and gobble up every word. One points out that there might be another side to it. But the latter person is the dumb fuck.

11. outofplace

The guy who "can't pitch out of the sixth inning" has thrown at least seven innings nine times in 15 starts this season, including a seven-inning performance two starts ago. You should just admit to the trolling. What you are doing instead is making an ass of yourself.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd rather it be the Rangers who send those northside poseurs packing ...

Draft saved Draft deleted