1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Imagine what they'll say if Trump somehow wins.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

But she read the Wall Street Journal, YF! (And, for the record, I think Clinton is smart, qualified, and capable--and don't think she killed Vince Foster.)

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Brexit happens. Trump next.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Bovada has her at -325; Trump at +250. Want some of that, YF?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, I don't think it's impossible for Trump to win, not at all, but referendums and elections for national leader posts are way different. The consequences of referendums are more abstract and long-term than a Person A or B to run things choice, so it makes it easier for voters to vent their spleen. The one thing the US election and Brexit DO have in common is that the strongest advocates for radical change are the elderly, specifically, crabby old white people who're frightened and angry about most everything, likely because they're frightened and angry about death.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's an interesting theory. The death part. I read a piece yesterday that theorized that it also, on a psychological level, fuels people's idealization of the past.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Seems like an awfully convenient theory: Those people support those policies because those people are so psychologically weak they cling to these fables about the past.

Float a trial balloon about, say, relaxing credential requirements for public schoolteachers. I doubt the ones you'll see freaking out will be at death's door.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was more nuanced and better argued than I'm presenting it. It wasn't about policy, just about extremism, I think.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Convenient coincidence that Trump just happens to be in Scotland the morning after the Brexit vote, isn't it?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Especially since he supported it and Scots didn't.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Even so, I grow weary of these "What's the Matter With Kansas?" bits ...

Megan McArdle did a nice piece the other day about Brexit vis-a-vis the "elite problem" ...
    http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-06-17/britain-s-elites-ignore-the-masses-at-their-peril

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.