1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it's true that Trump isn't deeply versed in the issues, and isn't particularly interested in learning all the details of an issue.

He's a top line, give it to me quickly, kind of guy.

He thinks he understands issues better than he does, and acts on his "gut".

But...

With a Republican House and Senate, Republicans would have a chance to pass legislation. With Hillary, we either get more gridlock, or a liberal agenda.

We have a chance of getting judges I support. With Hillary, following Obama, the entire judiciary, up through the SCOTUS, will be liberal.

The biggest wild card is who he would surround himself with in the White House, and put in cabinet level jobs.

My hope is that he would fill the spots with experienced republicans, because who else would he hire? He has a small organization. As governors, GWB and WJC had a staff to bring with them. Trump won't have that.

Will he listen to them? Maybe. He's really not ideological.

And, on foreign policy, I'm really not worried if our friends and enemies think he's a little crazy. That can work to our advantage.

I'm not worried about his outrageous proposals, because that's just bluster. They're red meat applause lines at rallies. They're starting points for a negotiation.

We're not going to get into a trade war with China, or a nuclear war with Russia.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you think voting for someone who has shown a 3-year-old's understanding of the world around him is a good idea, or at least the best of two bad choices, there's nothing I can say that will convince you otherwise.

I think - no, I know - you're smarter than that.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Some people who disagree with me are hypocrites. Some of you should just get that tattooed.

4. YankeeFan

Sure.

We'll have a guy who does plenty of media, but plays favorites, and freezes out organizations he doesn't like.

Getting documents and straight answers out of him will be difficult.

We'll have some dopes in important jobs.

He'll be thin skinned, and obsessed with his coverage, his image, and his legacy.

Like Arnold, he'll be much more liberal than expected.

He'll embarras us on occasion in his dealings with foreign leaders, but he'll also be a voracious cheerleader and salesperson for America.

He'll infuriate Republicans by cutting deals with Dems.

He'll appoint judges who aren't as conservative as the ones on the list he put out.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It has always been my belief that both major party nominees always have a decent chance of becoming President. McCain inherited about the worst set of circumstances for a nominee I can think of, and he still got 46 percent of the vote.
    But two events that conventional wisdom thought would help Trump, a major domestic terrorist attack (or to be more accurate, mass murder by a guy who's a Muslim) and an international crisis with economic impact on the US, have both just happened, and so far anyway, they haven't helped. Quite the reverse. That more than any one poll is the best news for Clinton.

RickStain and Dick Whitman like this.
  6. YankeeFan

I understand your position. Doctorquant agrees with you.

But, look, Reagan wasn't the deepest thinker, though he had a clearer political philosophy.

The President sets the agenda.

Even as undefined as the Trump agenda is, I favor it over the Clinton agenda.

I'm really not concerned with Trump's bluster. He became obsessed with making news, and sucking up the oxygen in the primary. It didn't matter what he did to accomplish that. And, it worked.

I think he's smarter than you think he is, while also admitting that policy isn't where he's invested his time or energy until know.

He's convinced that everything is a negotiation, and that negotiation skills are the most valuable skills of all. He believes he can apply his talents to any job, and any situation.

I don't believe that to the degree he does, but I'll still take it over Hillary.

We just had a guy who was a year removed from being a state senator serve 8 years as president. His every decision was shaped more by his world view than the facts. We survived.

We'll be fine with Trump as president too, even if he's not as good as my highest hopes for him.

7. YankeeFan

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He was elected to the United States Senate in 2004 and was elected United States President in 2008.

2008 - 2004 = 4

9. YankeeFan

Fair enough. He was two years in, before he began running for president, and had zero accomplishments as a Senator.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Other than the 15 bills he sponsored or co-sponsored that were enacted into law.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

YF likes to play the Baron game -- name five things he did that YankeeFan considers accomplishments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.