1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Jesus ... have you guys never heard about the ur-Progressive? Woodrow "Birth of a Nation" Wilson?

And, MC, there's little/no relevance other than as re: your "only one party has done thus-and-such" wording ... Forgive my pedantry.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think all the racist presidents we have left on our team are Woodrow Wilson and FDR.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Almost liked this, but you kind of lost me at the end.

But, I still like you.

JC, Mr. Sunshine and Double Down like this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My statement was meant to be in the present tense, and purposely did not include the word "ever." Even still, you're forgiven. :D

The nation as a whole has made great strides against hatred in general since the Wilson, Roosevelt AND Johnson eras. Part of Trump's appeal among his supporters is that he may usher those days of unabashed bigotry back again. And he is the choice of only one present-day political party.

Not saying that to be an asshole or a political hack, either. It's the plain, simple and undeniable truth.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

In a few years, you can file a grievance in front of the Honorable Dick Whitman's yoga council if you feel I've violated your safe space.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hands on supervision of the interns.

7. YankeeFan

I don't think there's a single racist thing about Republican policy.

In theory, Republican policy is color blind. Dems pay much more attention to race, and often it's to the detriment of those they intend to help.

But, Dems have convinced 90% 0r so of African-Americans that they are on their side. Dem policies mostly help African-American power brokers, who deliver the vote, and who get Budweiser distributorships for their kids, live in white neighborhoods (or in the one nice building in the neighborhood, which is full of judges, politicians, and other leading citizens: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/nyregion/11rangel.html?_r=0)

This has led more whites to -- or at least open to -- the Republican party, and has left Republican politicians more and more reliant on white votes, even as the country becomes less white.

And, Trump has certainly said dumb things, has said provocative things, and has tried to attract the same "white working class" voters that Hillary targeted during her primary run vs. Obama in 2008.

I do think Islamic terror is an issue that needs to be treated differently, and that illegal immigration needs to be addressed. I think Trump also believes this, and has tried to portray himself as "politically incorrect" which has sometimes led him to word things poorly. And, because of the "strong" persona he is trying to project, he's not going to apologize for anything.

But, I don't think he is racist, misogynist, or homophobic. New York is so diverse, and he grew up there, and has done business there forever. Trump likely has more black and gay friends and acquaintances than live in RickStain's town, or the town DD grew up in.

But, he does speak bluntly -- and even oddly "the blacks", "the Hispanics" -- about race in a way that makes some folks uncomfortable.

But, if you think Trump gives a shit about social issues the way a guy like Ted Cruz, or most Republicans do, you're crazy. He's a New York City Democrat, who somehow won the Republican Party nomination for President.

He'll be better on civil rights than you suspect. Liberals will likely be happier with him on these issues that many conservatives, if he were to get elected.

And, in a "Nixon goes to China" kind of way, he has the potential to do more for race relations than even someone like President Obama has the potential to effect.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Utter nonsense, unless you mean that he could stoke racial tensions so high that race riots erupt across the country. Otherwise, it's total lunacy.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And see, that's just it. One side is inclusive, and puts its racist past behind it, and as a result attracts minorities in record numbers.

The other one nominates a racist and is dying off quickly.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Itt: YF still has no idea where I live.

And also still doesn't understand how racism works.

12. YankeeFan

I still think most of these people can go fuck themselves.

Trump didn't change from the day he announced his candidacy, until the day he won the nomination.

Every single candidate pledged to support the nominee during the GOP debates. And, now JEB! Bush, and George Fucking Pataki think themselves noble for refusing to support Trump now.

Mike Murphy spent $100 million dollars on JEB!'s behalf, mostly running down Marco Rubio and others.

The GOP hated Ted Cruz so much, they couldn't bring themselves to get behind him late.

If they didn't want Trump as the nominee, and also didn't want Cruz, then they needed Jeb! among others to have seen the handwriting on the wall and get out early.

So, now we've got Rick Wilson and Tim Miller and others loving the media attention showered on them as they do the left's bidding to help elect Hillary Clinton.

The Republican establishment has itself to blame for the party's current situation, and now wants to step away, embarrassed by what its become.

TigerVols likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.