1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did you get to the graph in the article?

45% of Dems wish someone other than Hillary was the nominee.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Threatening to "open up our libel laws" and punish anyone who factually criticizes him is totally a mature, presidential thing to do.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Lugnuts and HanSenSE like this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, he's awful. The multiple bankruptcies, and the generally acknowledged belief that his worth A) isn't a fraction of what he says it is: and B) isn't a fraction of what it would be if he had just parked the money in an index fund for the last 30 years. Those are just two tipoffs.

dixiehack and RickStain like this.
  4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Close your eyes and listen to elizabeth Warren stumping for Hillary, she sounds like Sarah Palin

old_tony likes this.
  5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You've seemed pretty happy with the last 7 1/2 years of total incompetence at governing. What's another four?

6. YankeeFan

He has four corporate bankruptcies (I believe) out of hundreds of businesses he's set up.

His wealth probably isn't what he says it is, but his assets don't have a set price you can look up in the WSJ. What's 40 Wall St. worth?

You'd also have to argue about the value of his brand. Since he licenses it, it's obviously worth something.

Is he illiquid? To some degree, but he's put over $50 million into his campaign, so I don't think he's broke.

The "index fund" is a snarky canard. Yes, if he had perfectly timed the transfer of all of his assets into index funds, and held onto them, and withdrawn no money for living expenses, he could be ahead today.

Is there some example of a passive investor who has handled his money that we can point to? (Warren Buffett doesn't count. He's an active investor, with a staff to manage his money, who buys companies, and takes large stakes in companies. He didn't put all of his money in index funds.)

7. YankeeFan

Look, the guy is a word class troll. I get that that bothers you, but we both know that libel laws would not change at all under a President Trump.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You are trying way too hard to legitimize this presidential candidate. Good luck.

9. YankeeFan

Hearing more comparisons to Screaming Howard Dean:

10. YankeeFan

He's terrible. But, he's not as terrible as you guys are making him out to be.

That's been an issue all along.

You also want to pretend that Hillary isn't terrible.

We have two terrible nominees. I'm going the one I think is better.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Comparing the two is terrible

LongTimeListener likes this.
  12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would really just like to know how this wall is going to be built. If I am to consider Trump as a serious candidate, then all I ask is for a detailed proposal on his signature position, a giant fucking wall that Mexico will pay for, and how it will come to pass.

This is how I suspect it will go:

Trump, 2015: We are going to build a wall and Mexico will pay for it.

Trump 2016: The wall just got 10 feet higher. And Mexico will pay for every cent of it.

President Trump 2017: We are working on plans for the wall, putting out bids, and we are going to hire all the best people. It is going to be bigger than the Game of Thrones wall, a show I'm told is very entertaining.

President Trump 2018: The wall was really more of a metaphor. I think our border guards are doing an excellent job. I love the Mexicans, some of whom, I assume, are good people.

President Trump 2019: I never said anything about a wall. I can't believe the way the media lies constantly. Give me your press credentials.

President Trump 2020: You know people, I am an amazing negotiator, ok? I always get the best deals. Every time. So here is what's happening with the wall. There is no wall. But I've drawn a red line on the border, ok? And if you cross that red line, it's a two stroke penalty. That's very serious. You then have to take a drop within two club lengths on the US side, using the point where they crossed the hazard as a reference point, keeping it in line with Washinton D.C. The Mexican people will never beat us again, ok? It's impossible to carry that hazard. Believe me, I could do it, but I have no interest. In match play, they might as well concede. I think this is a fair solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.