1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit or how I'll make a killing in forex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jun 23, 2016.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Show your work.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

You don't know the meaning of the word. Or lots of other words. OK, you don't know the meaning of most words.

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

The process IS the inconvenience, particularly with regard to work visas. Don't lump me in with the "end of the world" crowd, if there really is one. But from the perspective of a young, upwardly mobile Brit, it sucks, and they're telling us it sucks, and it seems kind of silly to lean back from an ocean away and tell them, "Eh, quit whining, it's no big deal." If I needed to go through customs and obtain a visa every time I went to a different state for work, it would be a hassle. And, again, the fascinating thing about it is the lack of any clear upside that explains why Britain voted to saddle itself with this hassle.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm pro-choice but would like to see where I have been seen "cheering on rapists" ...

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the folks living in Wales or the north of England, who don't regularly weekend on the continent, don't give a fuck.

They think young, upwardly mobile Londoners have profited at their expense.

It's very specifically a fuck you to them.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, I'm sure some would say taxpayers no longer having to ship billions of pounds to a bloated bureaucracy in Brussels qualifies as an "upside." Just sayin....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I like to think that reasonably intelligent people would figure out a better way to get their point across than fucking themselves over.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is a common human fallacy well beyond ideology that when things are bad, people assume "well, they can't get any worse." Of course they can. Always.

daemon likes this.
  9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

For travel, yeah. Basically. Fly in, show passport, clear customs. The ahead-of-time part is getting the passport. The worry isn't really about travel. It's about the ability to live and work where you want. You might not be able to get a visa for a job in Paris that you wouldn't have had any obstacles to before. Basically, it's not just that there's obstacles to work, it's also that there's no guarantee those obstacles will be surmountable.

10. YankeeFan

I'm not defending it. But folks feel like they've been screwed by elites, who have profited off of a global economy while they've been left behind.

They don't feel like they have much to lose.

This was a chance to make their voices heard, and exact a little revenge.

11. YankeeFan

The people who voted to leave aren't up for a job in Paris, and aren't contemplating a move to the French Riviera.

They don't care.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Great. Not really the point of the conversation we were having, though. Simply discussing how things were likely changing.

Draft saved Draft deleted