1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brexit or how I'll make a killing in forex

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Jun 23, 2016.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yep.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sunshine, let me amend my previous post. I probably COULD afford to live in France if we sold our house. But France wouldn't let me. If you're not an EU citizen, the longest non-student, non-working visa you can get is six months. I met an American four years ago in Avignon who split his time between there and his US home of Toledo. That I could never afford.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Toledo is often called the Avignon of northwest Ohio. :D

I Should Coco, Ace and Michael_ Gee like this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We should take the UK's place in the EU.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But it rightly belongs in Michigan.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Avignon means armpit?

amraeder likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That isn't true. You can get a long stay visa if you own a home there. It buys you a year at a time. A bank account that shows you have enough to live and a home there will get you the visa. I believe you can renew it a year at a time. It's a hassle, but it is doable. After a certain amount of time (I believe 5 years) of continuously living there you can apply for a permanent resident visa which extends everything to 10 years at a time. Again, you need to demonstrate you can afford it, have a place to live and that you have integrated into French society. By then, you can also apply for citizenship if that is what you want.

8. Michael_ Gee

There's hope! Since the first thing Alice does in any city, foreign or domestic, she visits is check out the windows of local real estate offices as we stroll around, I have learned that apartments suitable for a couple in nice neighborhoods of Bordeaux are way more affordable than in the Boston area.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Our plan is to eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later) spend approximately half of our year there (France, but not in Bordeaux) and half of our year in the U.S. We have homes in the U.S. and a home there between us. We have done everything we can not to get married, but we may do it for that purpose, because she is a French citizen. She is good in the U.S. already -- has a green card and could actually become a U.S. citizen if she wanted, although she is conflicted about it. If we are married, I can get a permanent residency visa for there faster than 5 years.

10. Michael_ Gee

Here's a great business opportunity for anyone in France. Window screens. All those big French windows don't have screens, even in nicer apartments. Bordeaux and the rest of France, however, still has plenty of mosquitoes.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

When my wife and I did our honeymoon in Italy a few years ago, we enjoyed checking out the real estate offices (though I was always slightly nervous some real estate agent would try to chat us up, and I'd be fumbling around in my limited Italian). I felt kind of weird to do, but it was fun to fantasize about getting a place. A place in Positano is our shared "If we ever hit the lottery" dream.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

We probably should have carpet bombed Britain the minute it looked like the voting wasn't going in our best interests.

Draft saved Draft deleted