1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much on board with this, but Starman forgot to add narcissism.

Lugnuts likes this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

where'd ya see that poll number?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No gaffes in the last couple weeks, and he's starting to turn the campaign into a referendum on Hillary Clinton. Combined with the Orlando Bounce, it seems that Trump is starting to surge again. I'm sure there'll be plenty more swings of the pendulum in the coming months.

5. Dick Whitman

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. Trump is making empty promises in hopes of duping working class people who have a difficult time understanding the fairly complex dynamics at play. Globalization isn't going anywhere and, in fact, is a great development, overall. It has helped the poorest of the poor worldwide. The people who haven't benefited are the middle class in developed countries because with it, globalization has brought a massive increase in labor relative to capital.

elephant.png

Rather than fight globalization with protectionist/isolationist policies that will keep American corporations from competing internationally, we need to understand and develop programs and policies that acknowledge the very real effects of globalization on the middle class and offer a range of solutions.

Mishel was absolutely right on this:

Trump has heretofore ignored the many other intentional policies that businesses and the top 1 percent have pushed to suppress wages over the last four decades. Start with excessive unemployment due to Federal Reserve Board policies which were antagonistic to wage growth and friendly to the finance sector and bondholders. Excessive unemployment leads to less wage growth, especially for low- and middle-wage workers. Add in government austerity at the federal and state levels—which has mostly been pushed by GOP governors and legislatures—that has impeded the recovery and stunted wage growth. There’s also the decimation of collective bargaining, which is the single largest reason that middle class wages have faltered. Meanwhile, the minimum wage is now more than 25 percent below its 1968 level, even though productivity since then has more than doubled. Phasing in a $15 minimum wage would lift wages for at least a third of the workforce. The most recent example is the effort to overturn the recent raising of the overtime threshold that would help more than 12 million middle-wage salaried workers obtain overtime protections.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Lugnuts likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

I know people thought I was just being a gadfly by predicting an "Orlando Bounce" for Trump, but I thought it was fairly probable that it would happen. People trust him on terror because he offers a simple solution, the Muslim immigration ban. The focus on his inartful reaction to Orlando was just inside-the-beltway media pontificating.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I find simple solutions to always be the best. Why waste time and money on tools and craftsmen when you have duct tape?

HanSenSE and Lugnuts like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

I don't disagree with you. But it resonates with people.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Gosh, I wonder why KKK leaders would be thinking this?

In a series of interviews with The Associated Press, Klan leaders said they feel that U.S. politics are going their way, as a nationalist, us-against-them mentality deepens across the nation.

Ku Klux Klan dreams of rising again 150 years after founding

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You are ignoring all the polling that says that people hated his Orlando response.

There has been no bounce.

Lugnuts likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.