1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I remember after she lost to president Obama, that everyone was saying that she had blown her last chance because she would be 69 (a 69 year old woman, at that). It took a little while, I don't remember how long, for the default narrative to gradually shift to her inevitability as the democratic nominee. If I were in journalism, I'd go back through the news of the time to review that remarkable process.

The bigger issue to me is that today's 69 or 73 is not the same as in the past. I know, and I'd guess most of us know, many people who are at an age that would have been considered too old who are still very good at what they do. Some hold on, some retire for different reasons.

Now that I'm voting for her, I think I can say that I'd love to see Hillary acknowledge this side of her identity as well. She should be a role model not just to little girls but older men and women that they are not finished in their early 70s. This should be a kick off for her reelection campaign (which I acknowledge I hope fails for a host of other reasons) as well as a part of her policy platform, including raising the SS age, which everyone knows should happen.

I know that there is no chance that any of this will happen. It would be brave, bold and honest- not the first adjectives that come to mind about HRC. Still, nice to imagine something positive coming out of this disastrous election cycle.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Watched about 45 minutes of Trump's speech in Cincy. Man alive. He's either the greatest linguistic genius, or that is the most coke-ravaged brain I have ever seen put into motion. Or, he has the worst case of ADD/ADHD the world's ever seen, believe me.

The calculation. I've never heard someone talk laterally, go down a thousand roads, then a thousand more tangents, all at once, while continuing down the line, inch by inch, without missing much of a beat. It really was theater of the highest order.

Lugnuts likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Wouldn't shock me if it was learned that Donald had a toot backstage before his appearances.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yep, classy folks Trump (or his caddy turned social media manager) are sourcing for material.

8. RickStain

Warm-up speaker at Trump event asks crowd if they would feel safe walking down the streets of Baltimore or D.C, to which the crowd yells out "No!"

Neither Baltimore nor D.C. currently appear in the top-15 metro areas for violent crime, but they are both in the top 15 for certain racial demographics. Does it even count as dog-whistling anymore?

Lugnuts, HanSenSE and Ace like this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Baltimore and D.C. share another characteristic, but I'm sure that never crossed the mind of the po-mo rocket scientists 'round here.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Iron_chet, amraeder and Double Down like this.
  11. RickStain

First-place baseball teams?

Lugnuts and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You wouldn't voluntarily walk down either of those streets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.