1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm all for an Orton/Lesnar feud if done well. I've really wanted to see that. If it's the same old Suplex City bore-fest, then blech.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I sort of get that they wanted to announce before ufc200, but Brock Orton would be way better as a feud that came about because Randy interrupted or attacked him instead of one of these generic "dream match" "because reasons" they seem to be falling in love with.

Physicality of it should be great though, even if it'll probably put RKO back on the shelf when it's over.

3. Bradley Guire

I've got a rare Saturday off. Think I'll sleep in, then get up, make some food, binge watch some old Survivor season I missed, AND BEAT UP JOHN CENA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

JRoyal and JimmyHoward33 like this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A great story they could tell, if UFC was willing to go along, would be either have Orton RKO Lesnar after he beats Hunt, or have Orton RKO him before the fight, then Lesnar either wins despite an RKO, or has an excuse why he lost. Or, after Lesnar loses, Orton sneaks into the cage and punts him.

Like I said, though, UFC would have to go along, and have their event become part of a sideshow. It sure would garner a lot of attention, though.

5. Baron Scicluna

As a fan in '95, the good thing about the early Nitros was that there were actual matches, and it was live each week. WWF was still having squash matches, with one main event match and sometimes one glorified squash (like a Yokozuna vs. Koko B Ware match). The first match in Nitro history was Pillman vs. Liger, which was a much better matchup than anything WWF was offering.

But the storytelling on Nitro? Yeesh.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That Pillman-Liger match was pretty good, too.

And that's also the night Luger jumped ship. Ten-year-old me was watching that and wondering why in the hell Luger was on WCW when he was just with the WWF.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering UFC, at its core, is still recognized as legitimate competition, I can't imagine they'd be OK with that on any level. Maybe they let Orton do a staredown. Anything more and they're flushing a lot of hard-earned credibility down the toilet for no reason whatsoever, and it'd probably piss off a lot of MMA fans as well. There's no upside to it for UFC.

8. Baron Scicluna

A staredown after the fight, if Lesnar wins, would be fine. I can't imagine Lesnar wanting to be concerned about a staredown before the fight when he'd want to be focused totally on Hunt. For an RKO before the fight, it'd have to be something taped.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

The best thing would be to have Randy in the crowd smirking and giving Brock shit, basically carbon copy the Taker-Lesnar confrontation from UFC 121 that was a worked shoot

Batman likes this.
  10. KYSportsWriter

Just finished World War 3 1995, which featured a 60-man battle royal for the title. That match was a clusterfuck from the start, but the undercard had some good matches for the most part.

Macho Man is the champ and being chased by Hogan, who's now back to wearing the red and yellow and has ditched -- at least I hope so, anyway -- the dark phase he was going through. But it was a harbinger of things to come, I guess, with him dressing in all black.

11. KYSportsWriter

On a side note, I am completely avoiding Raw for a little while longer. WCW, even with its stupid storylines, is better than the E at this point. I guess I'll start watching Raw when 1996 rolls around.

12. Bradley Guire

Brock Lesnar, with a five-year layoff and farting around in fake fighting and only using half of his intestines, won the UFC 200 main event. And he wants world peace. You fuckers better give him what he wants. Or else.

jpetrie18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted