1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Couldn't read past the second paragraph. Laughing too hard at the line about him being close to his family, taking it in a sj.com context.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I want nothing to do with Starman's foolishness, but once again, you are dodging a point you can't handle.

You claim you believe that babies are being murdered. Why aren't you doing more to stop this horror?

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Excellent, thoughtful response. For that, I will always respond respectfully and thoughtfully when I respond to you. You've earned that. Some others on here will continue to get the responses they deserve.

To your point about Democrats and religion, the 2012 Democratic Convention is a great example. Restoring the word "God" to the platform was a complete circus. They took "God" out of the platform, caught figurative hell right away, and the only way they could get it back in was to have the guy at the podium lie and say the "Ayes" were twice as loud as the "Nos" (two-thirds majority) when it was obvious that wasn't the case.

As for Trump supporters getting beat up, that fact remains whether or not I posted a wrong photo. Supporters of one candidate getting beaten up by supporters of another candidate simply for attending a rally is completely unAmerican. We know where and when it's happened. When conservatives gather outside a Hillary rally and beat the people coming out, feel free to call me out. Until that happens, it's only happening in a one-way direction. Tell me about liberals being the tolerant ones.

As for abortion, I laugh when lefties say "Against abortion? Don't have one." Suppose that would have flown in the days leading up to the end of slavery? Slavery was horribly wrong, and abortion is horribly wrong.

You at least seem to acknowledge both sides are responsible for the horrible state of today's political discourse. A great number of SJ Left are some of the most hateful and bitter people I've ever come across. A few of them are directly responsible for the new message pinned at the top of this board. It was actually nice to see a couple of SJ Left call them out this past weekend.

Glad you noticed things in my sig. The first item is about the truest thing I've ever written on this site. And as an olive branch, I'll even remove the one you don't like.

5. outofplace

This from the guy whose sig is an attack on people who disagree with him politically.

There is no question there are posters on both sides of the political battles on this site who made the new post atop the board necessary. Some of the personal things stated about you in recent days were inappropriate. You earn a certain level of scorn with your dishonesty and rudeness in political discussions, but it often goes too far. At some point, it would help tremendously if you would acknowledge that you are also part of the problem. And yes, I have done so in the past and will do so again.

6. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I appreciate that, and I'll afford you the same courtesy. I'll admit that I've been snippy in your direction in the past, and I would be lying if I said that my political leanings didn't cause me to perk up at perceived hyperbole when I'd simply chuckle and shake my head at someone who says something I find equally ludicrous on "my" side. And, for what it's worth, I do find it admirable that you, YF, and the other conservatives on here keep fighting away despite being outnumbered. I may want to punch my computer screen in sometimes when reading some of those comments, but I really do respect your passion.

To your points, I agree that the "God" platform issue was a bit of a farce. I do wonder if much of the resistance had more to do with trying to avoid what's perceived as pandering to the religious on the right as it does simply being the party of the godless, but that would lead us back to stereotyping and vilifying the other side.

I can't find a case of Trump supporters laying in wait for Hillary backers, but it's not hard to find verbal and physical abuse of protesters at Trump rallies. But you're right that it's un-American no matter what. I feel the same way about the racial tension involving cops now. Is it really that hard repudiate the scumbag fringe, be they cops or activists? Yet both sides are guilty of blind loyalty.

I really do agree that abortion is horribly wrong. I often feel like a rape/life of the mother exception could theoretically simpify the issue: Pro-choice? Then choose not to have sex, otherwise face the consequences. But then I wonder about false rape allegations and ethically breached doctor's opinions. I also think about how our foster care system is already rife with abuse and neglect and wonder how mandated births would exacerbate the problem. Then you delve into the issue of women who'll have abortions anyway. It's easy to picture the stereotype of the bitchy, selfish career woman, but what about the poorly educated, frightened girl who thinks a back-alley abortion is her only option? It's an issue far too complex for someone like me to tackle, but I think that it's hard to legislate morality (but sometimes necessary, as you pointed out with slavery).

But anyway, I like the exchange of ideas without the pissiness. I'm sure we'll bump into each other on here again at some point, but in the meantime have a good day.

old_tony likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Speaking of OT's sig line, here's what happened to the Obama quote with a little creative editing. This is what he actually said in the wake of the Paris terrorist attacks:

"I want to salute the people of Paris for showing the world how to stay strong in the face of terrorism,” Obama said. “Even as they grieve, Parisians have begun returning to their cafes, riding the metro and going to stadiums to cheer for their teams.”

“Next week, I will be joining President Hollande and world leaders in Paris for the global climate conference. What a powerful rebuke to the terrorists it will be when the world stands as one and shows that we will not be deterred from building a better future for our children,” he continued.

8. old_tony

Yup, no matter how many of the words you include, Obama looks like an idiot.

"(P)owerful rebuke to the terrorists ..." ROFLMAO.

Whoever wrote that line and put it in the teleprompter should have been fired that afternoon.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Obama would look like an idiot to you if he said "I have found the cure for cancer"

10. outofplace

Exactly, and tony glossed over the part where neutral_corner busted him using a doctored quote in his sig.

Tony, the honest response would be to acknowledge your quote was a misrepresentation of what Obama said. You could take the blame for the editing of the quote yourself or explain that somebody else did it, then state your opinion regarding his comments. Instead, you went the dishonest route, trying to deflect attention from your being busted.

This is the stuff that makes me rightly point out that you are part of the problem on these threads. The dishonesty gets very old. And again, I say this while acknowledging that I have also played a part in the issues on these threads.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    Stoney likes this.
  11. old_tony

You need to look up some definitions. I quoted Obama word for word. He thinks he rebuked the Paris attackers by attending a global warming conference.

12. outofplace

No, you are using an edited version of the quote to mislead people reading it, but your response is everything I'm talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.