1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No, he thinks that the best answer to terrorists is to go right ahead and live our lives, do what we do, go where we go, without letting them win by knuckling under to the threat they represent. It was admirable when the English did it under the German bombers, and it's the best way to handle things now. You take the necessary precautions, make things as safe as possible, and then you go on with your lives. Screw those guys.

It wasn't about rebuking them by going to a climate change conference, it's about going on to Paris and not allowing terrorist acts to force a change in schedule or venue.

He even managed to do it without adding a "Bring it on!"

Stoney likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

I notice that you have yet to acknowledge that you altered the quote to better suit your interpretation. That falls under the heading of "propaganda".

"Propaganda - Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view."

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And only about 70% of the world's adults laughed at him.

4. Neutral Corner

I figure about that percentage of the board is laughing at your refusal to admit you got caught.

5. old_tony

I didn't alter the quote at all. When you write a game story, do you write every word the coach or manager or player said to a question? Or do you pick out the pertinent parts? From the word I started with to the word I ended with is exactly what he said. Nothing was out of context. He thinks he "rebuked" the terrorists. They laughed at him. You just wish his idiocy didn't make the left look so bad.

6. old_tony

If by "caught" you mean "quoted Obama exactly word-for-word, yes, I admit I did that.

7. Neutral Corner

You altered the meaning of the quote to make it better suit your needs by omitting part of it, Tony. That's not editing, that's manipulating his words.

8. Neutral Corner

Ok, I'm going to quote you word for word, same as you did when you left out part of what he said and altered his statement.

Did you edit Obama's quote so it better suited you and sounded worse?

See how that works?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

LOL. This board is so fucked-up.

10. old_tony

I did what every journalist does every single day. I didn't use every single word in a quote. I didn't substitute any words or delete any words from where I started to where I finished. It didn't change the meaning even a little bit. Obama thought he rebuked the terrorists by going to a global warming conference. I wonder how many of the victims he thinks that brought back to life or how many future attacks that stopped.

11. old_tony

And you completely changed the meaning of what I said. I didn't change any meaning at all to what Obama said. I guess we can use this to show the difference between an ethical journalist and an unethical one.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

What really gets terrorists shaking in their boots are strongly worded message-board posts and poorly designed memes.

Lugnuts, HanSenSE and doctorquant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.