1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

FTFY

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Since when has that stopped Dick?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was a kid in 68 so don't remember much, but it's starting to have this 60s feel in terms of race relations and leadership's disconnect from reality.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1979-80 doesn't hold a candle to 2016.

We're coming up on essentially a full decade of recession/stagnation. Iran was embarrassing but there was no real perception there was going to be Islamic violence in the streets of America. There were economic problems in 1979 (inflation, sluggish employment) but nothing like essentially the 10 year freeze and decline in standard of living we've seen for the 99% this century.

1968 is the closest comparison. The liberal / progressive side suffered a double decapitation with MLK/RFK. There was real possibility of widespread violence on both a racial (black vs white) and political (pro or con Vietnam) basis. Economically, things weren't going too badly in '68.

Wallace 68 and Trump this year are fairly comparable but of course it was widely agreed Wallace was a niche candidate for the racist lunatic fringe.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I saw this article today. That's not the upbringing I had, mine was more of a solid mid-management middle class family, but there were a number of things in the story that struck a chord with me.

I rejected my parents’ WASP values. Now I see we need them more than ever.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

#BlancLivesMatter

BTExpress likes this.
  7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

And instead of doing in something like what the Republican candidate did in '68, Trump is appealing to the small loud minority.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know about Chili's. I do know that his running mate is a piece of shit phony who made my state a laughingstock on multiple occasions. Fuck him. Stay in The NYC Chili's forever, you bigoted, white-haired slab of excrement.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Kumbaya my Lord ...

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Gonna be a strange week, watching Cleveland burn to the ground. Set your DVR.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Trump wanted Don King to speak at the RNC. King is from Cleveland. He repeatedly pushed for King as a convention speaker.

"Finally, officials including Reince Priebus, the Republican national chairman, firmly explained to Mr. Trump why Mr. King should not be invited: He once stomped a man to death and was convicted of manslaughter. The party could not associate itself with someone convicted of a felony."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/18/us/politics/republican-convention-speakers.html?_r=0

"The biggest celebrities other than the nominee will be a star of “Duck Dynasty” and actors from “The Young and the Restless,” “General Hospital” and “Charles in Charge.”

"As late as Friday — three days before the start of the convention — some marquee speakers had not been given guidance by the campaign about writing their remarks or asked to submit their speeches for vetting. And some state party chairmen said they had been refused when they asked to see the week’s schedule."

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Chachi will deliver a speech that restores peace, I'm sure.

HanSenSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.