1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That would definitely be a mistake, given his character and level of popularity. I'd say the same thing about Nakamura.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Agreed. Also with Bayley.

Those three should have a surprise entrance pop. Not just be listed as another name to be drafted.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

Playing Devil's Advocate, but:

If he's a high draft choice—taken ahead of people such as Del Rio, Swagger, Cesaro, Jericho—that's a new way to get some over.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Might be better to announce them through a draft than risk having them surprise debut and no one recognize them.

I mean, WE know who Balor and Bayley and Joe and Nakamura are, but they're not exactly household names.

5. Baron Scicluna

Debut them before a smart audience like in New York, Philly or Chicago. They'll get the pop.

Des Moines, Iowa, probably not as big.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Which is why I believe Bayley will be Sasha's partner Sunday...

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Where did Gallows and Anderson debut? Wherever it was, you could hear crickets, IIRC.

8. Baron Scicluna

Los Angeles. Usually a pretty loud crowd.

One issue, though, is that they came through the crowd. Having an actual entrance, like Styles did, might have given them a bigger pop.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Having Balor get drafted like 6 or 7 feels like a momentum killer. Having him debut as a surprise anytime in the last 2-3 months would've generated mroe momentum. They're risking having him go on the Cesaro/Neville track rather than the best case scenario, which is probably AJ Styles or KO. And Styles took 3-4 month to get off the ground.

10. Baron Scicluna

I don't think they're going to see him as more than IC/US title fodder. They'll claim he's too small, and after a few months they'll be skipping most of his entrance. They've always had to be dragged kicking and screaming into accepting Indy darlings as main eventers.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If they really want to get Balor over, have Shane talk about how a new era needs a new direction, and a new face. And then he takes Balor with Smackdown's first pick.
    Hell, being labeled as the future face of the company can't possibly go wrong, can it?

[​IMG]

12. Baron Scicluna

The one thing that I do hope they do with the draft is have those highlight packages with the draftees' heights and weights and accomplishments listed like they did with the first couple of drafts. They made it look like the NFL or NBA draft, and it was pretty amusing to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted