1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I wonder what Screech and Honey Boo Boo will have to say in their speeches tonight.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This would be a great point, except...

On June 28th, the spread in the RCP Average was 6.8 points. Today, it's 2.7%.

Some people are being persuaded.

Latest poll, the LA Times/USC poll, has Trunp up one percent.

And, if you look at the polls, Trump does better in polls of likely voters, like the La Times and Rasmussen polls.

Hillary does much better with registered voters -- or "adults" -- as seen in the CNN and Reuters polls.

But, even the NBC poll, which is still registered voters, but has a much larger sample, has it at Clinton +1.

Soon, all the polls will switch to likely voters, and Trump's numbers will look better against Clinton.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The Trump campaign clearly has been on a huge learning curve throughout this election. It couldn't be helped, really, given that there was no political background to any of it.

It seems clear they looked up some past speeches/examples for ideas of what to say/do -- and it seems as if they did -- and followed up with something the same, probably because they could, especially with regard to the section involved. I could see almost any candidate (or their spouse) using that paragraph, or something very similar, and not worrying too much about it being plagiarizing, as long as they believe it to be true and applicable to them.

In fact, I could see that paragraph being left in there accidentally (or even, really, not), if, say, that 2008 speech was used as an actual template -- one that Mrs. Trump went through and changed as needed/wanted in order to individualize it to her, her husband and her family, and then came upon that part, and being inexperienced and not realizing that she should change it, even if that portion did also apply to her and her husband and family, she did not.

Or, it could have been left in as an actual accident, sort of like when you're editing, make corrections to a paragraph, and then still leave in the unchanged one in the cut-and-paste process, which I know we've all seen happen in newspapers.

It might not mean that she intended to plagiarize, per se, just that something was said as she might have said it, too, and she left it, or else, perhaps, she simply looked past/read over the paragraph without changing it (a reporting/writing parallel might be the reason journalists are supposed to use the word "innocent," instead of "not guilty" in pleas/court cases -- because it's so easy just to read over, or accidentally skip typing the word "not"...).

Anyway, I could certainly see this happening in Trump's case without it being something that was necessarily nefarious.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

LOL

jr/shotglass likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

LOL

jr/shotglass likes this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And that's the end of the first quarter ...

Riptide and poindexter like this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Why would you do that? You couldn't see the Trumps doing exactly that -- using a past speech as a template? And then having something go not quite right?

Well, I certainly can.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

#cheerupDewey

old_tony likes this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Add to the list of people TSP doesn't give a shit about: mothers grieving over their dead children. Dewey is the poster boy for TINMHITTMAL

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

YGBFKM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.