1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Permission means everything, especially when you're talking about what is essentially theft.

If you come to my house and ask to borrow my lawn mower, I say no, and you take it anyway, you're stealing it. If I say yes, and you take it, you are not stealing it.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Come on @YankeeFan ... These aren't remotely comparable.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Sure.

But, nobody cares.

Sad to say, but journalists care about plagiarism way more than the general public does.

His wife gave a speech. The part about learning her values, including working hard, and having big dreams, from her parents was very similar to Michelle's speech.

No one cares.

And, all of the mocking of the immigrant, third wife doesn't help.

4. doctorquant

I took Michelle's speech as a micro-aggression. I mean, she just assumed white Americans thought African-Americans were shiftless ...

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Very similar to Michelle's speech."

LOL

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It might not be comparable, but it's still plagiarism. Unquestionably.

He passed those words off as his own to the audience.

Only after, did we learn he had gotten permission to use them.

If he wanted to quote Patrick, he should have introduced it that way.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No one cares, you're right. But it is a wasted opportunity. Even shit-for-brains Sarah Palin had a positive news cycle coming out of the RNC.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Another question: how low will voter turnout be? At some point, people can't hold their noses anymore and avoid going to the polls.

Lugnuts likes this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We seem to be arriving at a conclusion (led by YankeeFan) that this is as bad as it gets at the GOP convention.

Man, we have three days to go. And Trump is going to get up there reading the bloodlust in the room.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. doctorquant

Oh, they care. Nobody likes to feel as if everybody's laughing at them.

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's not going to win, but he's made a roadmap. Someone will run the same campaign, but competently, and that's going to be the true horror show.

12. doctorquant

I don't think it's "bad" in any practical sense ... honestly, whether Melania (sp?) has the first hint of an original thought is completely irrelevant ... but it's bad in the sense that, while a lot of Trump's supporters say they don't care about what the elites think, when push comes to shove they do. It's one thing to think that the elites are disgusted (or frightened) by you and your guy. It's another to be pretty sure that your guy (and you, by extension) have given the elites a good reason to look down on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.