1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It'll take willful stubbornness for many conservatives, based on last night's speech, to vote for Trump. Willful. Not a word on abortion? A denunciation of free trade? A repudiation of nation building?

Again - it'll take willful stubbornness.

But I know old guard democrats who'd vote for trump based on that speech. It basically could have been made a Sunday dinner inside a machinist's house in Pittsburgh.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who says Trump isn't a hands-on, details guy!?!

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ignorant, angry, white males will fall for that speech.

It's funny. Only working class whites are easily manipulated by political rhetoric.

old_tony likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was really fucking surreal to watch, starting with Ivanka's introduction that appeared to be plagiarized from Lena Dunham's upcoming DNC speech. I'm not saying it was bad. He clearly took the task seriously. But other than the law and order stuff lifted from the mid-'80s, that was not a Republican speech.

5. Dick Whitman

I don't think that's what Alma is saying at all. He's saying that the speech was directly pitched to them, the long-time Democratic base, and earnestly.

6. YankeeFan

Yeah. And, it could work because they're ignorant.

Working class whites will vote "against their self interest" because they're angry and racist, and find a "strong man" appealing.

7. YankeeFan

What would the parallel to Peter Theil's RNC speech be for the DNC?

"I'm proud to be pro-life. I'm proud to be a Democrat. But most of all, I'm proud to be an American."

Can anyone imagine such a speech at the DNC, let alone it getting a standing ovation?

Can anyone imagine Hillary being confident enough to allow a Ted Cruz like speech at her convention?

8. Dick Whitman

Voting against free trade is not voting "against their self-interest." Quite the contrary, which is the point. The wedge social issues like abortion is what Republicans were accused of using to get people to vote "against their self-interest." The point is that Trump has abandoned the "What's the Matter With Kansas?" strategy and is now appealing very much to the self-interest of the working class.

9. Dick Whitman

Oh, yeah. I'm sure Trump signed off on Cruz's speech.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

More like working class whites who are angry, racist, afraid and ignorant will buy into the "strong man" bullshit.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's because he's not a Republican.

This campaign is about assholery, not Republican or conservative ideals.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. YankeeFan

He knew he was allowing his top competitor, who had not endorsed him, to speak in prime time.

Think Bernie gets that without endorsing Hillary? LOL. It's too funny to even imagine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.