1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

*dad

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Need to name and shame the reporter:

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

They do NPR really well, however.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Always be closing:

HanSenSE and TigerVols like this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

More like 1957.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Fixed.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

NPR hasn't been "liberal" for 10 years. They're so terrified of having their federal funding cut off by lunatic teabaggers every story is slanted over backwards in the opposite direction.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm gonna guess you haven't had much coffee this morning or you're so lost in kneejerkism that you're just popping off to pop off.

There are working class democrats who, if Trump is being honest in claim that he'll tax american companies that take jobs out of the country, are signing up for the Trump train for legitimate reasons.

I'm solidly against companies destroying communities by taking jobs to Mexico. I'm as against that as I am anything, and, interestingly enough, I've been taken to task on here for supporting "protectionism" as a result. Well, Trump, last night, more or less laid out of a protectionist doctrine. Tariffs on imports. Fines for companies that invest in workforces outside this country. Every company that has moved its telemarketing operation overseas may be in for some shit.

If Trump does what he says he's going to do, it'll raise the prices on goods really quick. He's basically promoting a "American made, American born" economic nationalism that, shit, Dick Gephardt would have liked in '88. It was...bizarre, for people who've been paying attention to this for some time.

As for true conservatives?

That speech, last night, will either do two things:

1. Drive away conservatives who were gobsmacked by the anti-free trade talk and the almost total absence of religious right issues. No "traditional definition" of marriage between man and woman. No talk about abortion. Just a vague nod to "hey, we'll let churches spend money on candidates again!", which is never passing in a million years.

2. Reveal that previously stated allegiances to those issues were mostly bullshit, and that most voters never really cared about them -- they just said they did because conservative talk radio and GOPers told them to care.

My hunch is it's No. 2...which I have long believed was the case to begin with.

And I am not unhappy about that, either. As a Christian, I've wanted to see my faith untethered from a party that couldn't care less about it. Trump may in fact do that. Christians need to wander the political desert for awhile.

I'm not voting for Trump because I'm unusually confident he has no fucking idea what he's doing with foreign policy. I mean, none. Plus, he's promised some stuff domestically that I don't think he can make happen.

But that speech was, like I said, a weird gust of working class mojo from the 70s and 80s. Big on respecting authority. Long on fear of foreigners.

HanSenSE and Lugnuts like this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey, she's got a kick-ass Hollywood hottie speaking...

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That dress looks like a herd of cats tore it to shit.

HanSenSE, Lugnuts and poindexter like this.
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought that was just for smart people!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.