1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

No estate taxes. The 16th amendment regarding a federal income tax wasn't really ratified. Property taxes suck. Capital gains taxes discourage investment. What's left, a VAT?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I've argued plenty of points, the main one being that the estate tax is completely immoral. A person's belongings belong to that person and his family. When he dies, it should go to his family. Government claiming the rights to someone's property or money simply because he died is completely wrong as long as that person has surviving children or a spouse. If government can claim it because he/she died, what's to stop government from claiming it before one dies?

3. JohnHammond

Why is it immoral? What's the rationale besides it's "mine?" All taxes, according to that line of reasoning, would be immoral.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You see the Making a Murder thread?

5. old_tony

How about a smaller government?

6. old_tony

No shit. The number of people fooled by that fraudumentary is frightening.

7. old_tony

If "it's mine" isn't good enough there, why is it good enough on your home? Your car? Your collection of Hustler magazines? Or is there no longer a right to property.

8. JohnHammond

Even so, someone has to pay to keep the lights on.

The right to your home is probably the most tenuous, and it has been since the colonial era.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nobody has been wrongfully incarcerated in the last 30 years.

You watched it yet?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Tony has many strategies that he employs when he is losing. That is just one of them.

Really, what he did was cling to a part of your argument (founding principles) to try to yank things away from his losing argument. It is a commonly used tactic on this site.

His primary argument here seems to be morality, which is where tony runs into trouble. Many of the arguments he gets into on this site come from his opinion that everybody should have to live by his moral code. Speaking of founding principles, not forcing one person or one group's morality on everybody else is one of the most basic ones in this country. "Because I believe it is right" simply isn't a good enough argument for anything regarding government.

To be clear, I'm not sure I disagree with Tony regarding the morality of an estate tax. My brother and I are still in the process of dealing with my mother's estate and while she didn't have enough for the federal tax to be an issue, there are state and local taxes and fees. I'm still too close to it to completely sort out how I feel, but I still realize that my own moral interpretation isn't enough to make a strong argument either way.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Anyone seen the new CNN Poll?

LOL.

Make sure to look at both the two way, and the four way, matchup.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you think he's going to win, at this point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.